A novel design for a transparent circularly polarized circular slot antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) is presented in this paper. The circular polarization is achieved by introducing a tapered split gap in the ring patch of the circular slot antenna in combination with unequal CPW ground arms. The antenna is designed using AgHT-4 laminated on a 2 mm thick glass with a relative permittivity of 7. The proposed antenna is designed to operate at 5.8 GHz for WLAN applications. The tapered split gap and inequality in the lengths of the CPW ground arms contribute to a 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth from 5.4 to 6.2 GHz. The proposed antenna has been studied theoretically and fabricated. The measured results show that the proposed antenna has a gain of 0.92 dB at 5.8 GHz. Reflection coefficient (S11), axial ratio (AR), and radiation patterns are presented and briefly discussed.
2. Azini, A. S., M. R. Kamarudin, T. A. Rahman, H. U. Iddi, A. Y. Abdulrahman, and M. F. B. Jamlos, "Transparent antenna design for WiMax application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 138, 133-141, 2013.
3. Yasin, T., R. Baktur, and C. Furse, "A comparative study on two types of transparent patch antennas," 2011 XXXth URSI General Assembly and Scientific Symposium, 1-4, 2011.
4. Peter, T., T. A. Rahman, S. W. Cheung, R. Nilavalan, H. F. Abutarboush, and A. Vilches, "A novel transparent UWB antenna for photovoltaic solar panel integration and RF energy harvesting," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, 1844-1853, 2014.
5. Hakimi, S., S. K. A. Rahim, M. Abedian, S. M. Noghabaei, and M. Khalily, "CPW-fed transparent antenna for extended ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1251-1254, 2014.
6. Hautcoeur, J., L. Talbi, K. Hettak, and M. Nedil, "60 GHz optically transparent microstrip antenna made of meshed AuGL material," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 8, 1091-1096, 2014.
7. Saberin, J. R. and C. Furse, "Challenges with optically transparent patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 54, 10-16, 2012.
8. Rahim, S. A., S. Danesh, U. A. Okonkwo, M. Sabran, and M. Khalily, "UWB monopole antenna with circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 949-953, 2012.
9. Lai, H. W., K. M. Mak, and K. F. Chan, "Novel aperture-coupled microstrip-line feed for circularly polarized patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 144, 1-9, 2014.
10. Lai, X.-Z., Z.-M. Xie, and X.-L. Cen, "Design of dual circularly polarized antenna with high isolation for RFID application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 25-39, 2013.
11. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, and A. A. Kishk, "Planar wideband circularly polarized antenna design with rectangular ring dielectric resonator and parasitic printed loops," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 905-908, 2012.
12. Yasin, T., R. Baktur, and C. Furse, "A study on the efficiency of transparent patch antennas designed from conductive oxide films," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation (APSURSI) 2011, 3085-3087, 2011.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2012.
14. Ali, W. K. W. and S. H. AI-Charchafchi, "Using equivalent dielectric constant to simplify the analysis of patch microstrip antenna with multi-layer substrates," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 676-679, Atlanta, GA, USA, 1998.
15. Baggen, R., S. Vaccaro, and D. L. del Rio, "Design Considerations for Compact Mobile Ku-Band Satellite Terminals," The Second European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2007. EuCAP 2007, 1-5, 2007.