In this article, a novel printed quasi-self-complementary antenna with tri-band characteristic is presented for WLAN and WiMAX applications. A triangular quasi-self-complementary structure, which consists of a radiating patch and its counterpart slot on the ground, is employed to produce two operating bands centered at about 2.5 and 5.2 GHz. Then, by introducing a rectangular slit cut from the patch and its complementary mirror image strip inserted into the slot, an additional resonance at 3.5 GHz is excited and tri-band operation can be realized. A prototype of the proposed antenna has been successfully fabricated and measured. Both the simulated and measured results are obtained to demonstrate the promising performance required for practical applications. Based on the results, it is shown that 10-dB impedance bandwidths of the proposed antenna are 510 MHz (2.25-2.76 GHz), 330 MHz (3.38-3.71 GHz), and 770 MHz (5.1-5.87 GHz), respectively. Also, nearly omnidirectional radiation patterns and acceptable antenna gains can be achieved over the three operating bands.
2. Basaran, S. C., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary splitring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 636-638, 2013.
3. Liu, W. C., C. M. Wu, and Y. Dai, "Design of triple-frequency microstrip-fed monopole antenna using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 2457-2463, 2011.
4. Ren, X. S., S. Gao, and Y. Z. Yin, "Compact tri-band monopole antenna with hybrid strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 94-99, 2015.
5. Mushiake, Y., "Self-complementary antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 34, 23-29, 1992.
6. Mushiake, Y., "A report on Japanese development of antennas: From the Yagi-Uda antenna to self-complementary antennas," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 46, 47-60, 2004.
7. Guo, L., S. Wang, Y. Gao, Z. Wang, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Study of printed quasi-self-complementary antenna for ultra-wideband systems," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 511-512, 2008.
8. Zou, J. Z., L. Liu, and S. W. Cheung, "Compact quasi-self-complementary antenna for portable UWB applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1317-1323, 2014.
9. Pan, C.-Y., K.-Y. Chiu, J.-J. Jhong, and J.-Y. Jan, "Printed arrow-shaped self-complementary antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 2-3, 192-202, 2012.
10. Lin, C. C., C. Y. Huang, and G. H. Chen, "Obtuse pie-shaped quasi-self-complementary antenna for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 353-355, 2013.
11. Lin, C. C., C. Y. Huang, G. H. Chen, and C. H. Chiu, "Rectangular quasi-self-complementary antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 2179-2182, 2014.