Coupled resonators are widely used in the design of cross-coupled filters with dual-passband response and the quasi-elliptic function characteristics. In this paper, we will present a dual-band bandpass filter using only couplings between adjacent resonators, i.e. without cross-couplings. The dual-band bandpass filter with passband centre frequencies of 1747 MHz and 1880 MHz respectively is designed and fabricated using microstrip U-shaped resonators. Using coupled resonator pair as a dual-band cluster, a miniaturised structure is achieved as compared to the conventional topology. The measured responses agree closely with the simulations.
2. Yeo, K. S. K. and M. J. Lancaster, "8 pole high temperature superconductor microstrip dual band bandpass filter design," IEEE MTT-SIMS Digest, 1-4, 2011.
3. Yeo, K. S. K., M. J. Lancaster, and J.-S. Hong, "The design of microstrip six-pole quasi-elliptic filter with linear phase response using extracted-pole technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 49, No. 2, 321-327, 2002.
4. Zhao, L.-P., D. Li, Z.-X. Chen, and C.-H. Liang, "Novel design of dual-mode dual-band bandpass filter with triangular resonators," Progress In Electronics Research, Vol. 77, 417-424, 2007.
5. Miyake, H., S. Kitazawa, T. Yamada, and Y. Nagatomi, "A miniaturised monolithic dual band filter using ceramic lamination technique for dual mode portable telephones," IEEE MTT-S Int. Dig., 789-792, 1997.
6. Tsai, L. C. and C. W. Hsue, "Dual-band bandpass filters using equal-length coupled serial-shunted lines and Z-transform technique," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 52, No. 4, 1111-1117, Apr. 2004.
7. Chang, S. F., Y. H. Jeng, and J. L. Chen, "Dual-band step-impedance bandpass filter for multimode wireless LANs," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 38-39, Jan. 2004.
8. Yeo, K. S. K. and A. O. Nwajana, "A novel microstrip dual-band bandpass filter using dual-mode square patch resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 36, 233-247, 2013.
9. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech Houston, Boston, 1980.
10. Cohn, S. B., "Direct-coupled-resonator filters," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 45, No. 2, 187-196, 1957.
11. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, 2005.
12. Hong, J. S., Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey, 2011.