The ultra-wide band characteristic basis function method (UCBFM) is an efficient approach for analyzing wide band scattering problems because ultra-wide characteristic basis functions (UCBFs) can be reused for any frequency sample in the range of interest. However, the errors of the radar cross section calculated by using the UCBFM are usually large at low frequency points. To mitigate this problem, an improved UCBFs is presented. Improved UCBFs (IUCBFs) are derived from primary characteristic basis functions and secondary level characteristic basis functions (SCBFs) by applying a singular value decomposition procedure at the highest frequency point. This method fully considers the mutual coupling effects among sub-blocks to obtain the SCBFs. Therefore, the accuracy is improved at lower frequency points because of the higher quantity of current information contained in the IUCBFs. Numerical results demonstrate that the proposed method is accurate and efficient.
2. Newman, E. H., "Generation of wide band from the method of moments by interpolating the impedance matrix," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 36, No. 12, 1820-1824, 1988.
3. Burke, G. J., E. K. Miller, S. Chakrabarthi, and K. Demarest, "Using modelbased parameter estimation to increase the efficiency of computing electromagnetic transfer functions," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 25, No. 4, 2807-2809, 1988.
4. Reddy, C. J., M. D. Deshpande, and C. R. Cockrell, "Fast RCS computation over a frequency band using method of moments in conjunction with asymptotic waveform evaluation technique," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 46, No. 8, 1229-1233, 1998.
5. Zhang, J. P. and J. M. Jin, "Preliminary study of AWE method for FEM analysis of scattering problems," Microwave Opt. Techno. Lett., Vol. 7, No. 1, 7-12, 1998.
6. Sun, Y. F., Y. Du, and Y. Sao, "Fast computation of wideband RCS using characteristic basis function method and asymptotic waveform evaluation technique," Journal of Electronics (in China), Vol. 27, No. 4, 463-467, 2010.
7. Kucharski, A. A., "Wideband characteristic basis functions in radiation problems," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 590-596, 2012.
8. Prakash, V. V. S. and R. Mittra, "Characteristic basis function method: A new technique for efficient solution of method of moments matrix equations," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 2, 95-100, 2003.
9. Degiorgi, M., G. Tiberi, and A. Monorchio, "An SVD-based method for analyzing electromagnetic scattering from plates and faceted bodies using physical optics bases," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 147-150, Jul. 2005.
10. Zhang, J. P. and J. M. Jin, "Preliminary study of AWE method for FEM analysis of scattering problems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 1, 7-12, 1998.
11. Degiorgi, M., G. Tiberi, and A. Monorchio, "Solution of wide band scattering problems using the characteristic basis function method," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 60-66, 2012.
12. Degiorgi, M., G. Tiberi, and A. Monorchio, "Wideband scattering through the use of the universal characteristic basis functions(UCBFs)," IEEE Int. Symp. on Antennas and Propagation and CNCUSNC/URSI Radio Science Meeting, 11-17, Jul. 2010.
13. Zhang, M. Y., Y. F. Sun, and Z. G. Wang, "Solutions of broadband RCS using the characteristic basis function method," IEEE MTTS International Wireless Symposium, 1-4, Mar. 2015.
14. Tsang, L., C. E. Mandt, and D. H. Ding, "Monte Carlo simulations of the extinction rate of dense media with randomly distributed dielectric spheres based on solution of Maxwell's equations," Optics Letters, Vol. 17, No. 5, 314-316, 1992.
15. Wang, Z. G., Y. F. Sun, and G. H. Wang, "Analysis of electromagnetic scattering from perfect electric conducting targets using improved characteristic basis function method and fast dipole method," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 7, 893-902, 2014.
16. Sun, Y. F., C. H. Chan, R. Mittra, and L. Tsang, "Characteristic basis function method for solving large problems arising in dense medium scattering," IEEE Antennas Propag. Soc. Int. Symp., 1068-1071, Columbus, Jun. 2003.