In this article, the design and analysis of a compact asymmetrical coplanar strip (ACS) feed multiband monopole antenna operating over the frequency range of Bluetooth/IMT-E (2.4-2.484/2.5-2.6 GHz), worldwide interoperability for microwave access (WiMAX: 3.3-3.6 GHz) and wireless local area network (WLAN: 5.15-5.825 GHz) for Personal Wireless Communication Systems (PWCS) applications has been investigated. The proposed antenna consists of a semi-circular arc and L-shaped stub which forms a vertically flipped G structure that facilitates the multi-band operation at 2.4 GHz and 3.5/5.5 GHz respectively. The antenna is fabricated on a low cost FR-4 substrate having thickness of 1 mm and has compact dimensions of 24 × 10 mm2. The proposed antenna yields a highly isolated measured impedance bandwidth of 2.3-2.7 GHz, 3.25-3.65 GHz and 5.1-6 GHz for Bluetooth/IMT-E, WiMAX and WLAN bands respectively and exhibits symmetrical radiation pattern, stable gain across all operating frequency bands which makes the antenna a suitable candidate for PWCS applications.
2. Fabrs, M. C., "Systematic design of antennas using the theory of characteristic modes,", PhD Dissertation, Feb. 2007.
3. Valderas, D., et al., "Ultrawideband Antennas, Design and Application," Imperial College Press, 2010.
4. Labade, R., S. B. Deosarkar, and N. Pishoroty, "Design and implementation of an integrated Bluetooth ultrawideband monopole antenna," Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, Vol. 15, No. 8, 60-66, 2014.
5. Sayidmarie, K. H. and T. A. Nagem, "Compact dual-band dual-ring printed monopole antennas for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 43, 313-331, 2012.
6. Pei, J., A. G. Wang, S. Gao, and W. Leng, "Miniaturized triple band antenna with defected ground plane for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 298-301, 2011.
7. Lin, C. C., E. Z. Yu, and C. Y. Huang, "Dual-band rhombus slot antenna fed by CPW for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 362-364, 2012.
8. Xie, J. J., X. S. Ren, Y. Z. Yin, and S. L. Zuo, "Rhombic slot antenna design with a pair of straight strips and two-shaped slots for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1466-1469, 2012.
9. Papantonis, S. and E. Episkopou, "Compact dual band printed 2.5-shaped monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 57-68, 2011.
10. Tsai, L.-C., "A triple-band bow-tie-shaped CPW-fed slot antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 167-171, 2014.
11. Song, Y., Y. C. Jiao, X. M.Wang, Z. B.Weng, and F. S. Zhang, "Compact coplanar slot antenna fed by asymmetric coplanar strip for 2.4/5 GHzWLAN operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 12, 3080-3083, 2008.
12. Li, B., Z.-H. Yan, and T.-L. Zhang, "Triple band slot antenna with U-shaped open stub fed by fed by asymmetric coplanar strip for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters,, Vol. 37, 123-131, 2013.
13. Ashkarli, P., S. Sreenath, R. Sujith, R. Dinesh, D. D. Krishna, and C. K. Aanandan, "A compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed dual band antenna for DCS/WLAN applications," Microwave Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1087-1089, 2012.
14. Deepu, V., R. K. Raj, M. Joseph, M. N. Suma, and P. Mohana, "Compact asymmetric coplanar strip fed monopole antenna for multiband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 8, 2351-2357, 2007.
15. Deepu, V., R. Sujith, S. Mridula, C. K. Aanandan, K. Vasudevan, and P. Mohana, "ACS fed printed F-shaped uniplanar antenna for dual band WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1852-1856, 2009.
16. Naidu, P. V. and R. Kumar, "Design of a compact ACS-fed dual band antenna for Bluetooth/WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 63-72, 2014.
17. Naidu, P. V. and R. Kumar, "A small CPW-fed dual-band Rupee shaped antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 10, No. 10, 6-12, 2015.