A novel planar ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple-notched bands is investigated and presented in this paper. The initial UWB antenna consists of a circular-shaped radiating element, a 50 Ω microstrip feed line, and a partially truncated ground plane. Then, by embedding a square ring short stub loaded resonator (SRSSLR) beside the microstrip feedline of the basic UWB antenna, band-rejected filtering properties in the satellite communication/wireless local area network/radio frequency identification for microwave access bands are generated. The notched frequencies can be adjusted according to specification by changing the SRSSLR. The results indicate that the proposed compact antenna not only retains an ultra wide bandwidth, but also owns triple band-rejections capability. The UWB antenna demonstrates omnidirectional radiation patterns across nearly the whole operating bandwidth that is suitable for UWB communications.
2. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel wideband planar fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3844-3849, 2008.
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009.
4. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009.
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2420-242, 2010.
6. Lee, W.-S., D. Z. Kim, K. J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, 2800-2806, 2006.
7. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005.
8. Kim, Y. and D. H. Kwon, "CPW-fed planar ultra wideband antenna having a frequency band notch functions," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, 403-405, 2004.
9. Yin, K. and J. P. Xu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with dual bandstop characteristic," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, 453-454, 2008.
10. Bi, D.-H., Z. Y. Mo Yu, S. Guo, and X. C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Tech. Nol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009.