A novel planar ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with triple-notched bands using triple-mode stub loaded resonator (SLR) is presented in this paper. The basic UWB antenna consists of a circular-shaped radiating element, a 50 Ω microstrip feed line, and a partially truncated ground plane. Then, the resonance properties of the SLR are studied. Results reveal that the multiple-mode property of the SLR can be utilized in the UWB antenna design to achieve triple band-notched performance. To validate the design concept, a novel planar UWB monopole antenna with three notched bands respectively around the WiMAX band, WLAN band, and X-band satellite communication band is designed and fabricated. The results indicate that the proposed planar antenna not only retains an ultrawide bandwidth, but also owns triple band-rejections capability. The UWB antenna demonstrates omnidirectional radiation patterns across nearly whole operating bandwidth that is suitable for UWB communications.
2. Naghshvarian-Jahromi, M., "Novel wideband planar fractal monopole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3844-3849, 2008.
3. Naser-Moghadasi, M., H. Rousta, and B. S. Virdee, "Compact UWB planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1382-1385, 2009.
4. Mazinani, S. M. and H. R. Hassani, "A novel broadband plate-loaded planar monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1123-1126, 2009.
5. Sun, M., Y. P. Zhang, and Y. Lu, "Miniaturization of planar monopole antenna for ultra-wideband radios," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 7, 2420-2425, 2010.
6. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 15, 766-768, 2005.
7. Bi, D.-H., Z.-Y. Yu, S.-G. Mo, and X.-C. Yin, "Two new ultra-wideband antennas with 3.4/5.5 GHz dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, 2942-2945, 2009.
8. Ding, J., Z. Lin, Z. Ying, and S. He, "A compact ultra-wideband slot antenna with multiple notch frequency bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 49, 3056-3060, 2007.
9. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Dual band-notch UWB antenna with single tri-arm resonator," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 670-673, 2014.
10. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, J. Y. Zhou, and Z. Q. Kuai, "Design and implementation of planar ultra-wideband antennas characterized by multiple notched bands," Microwave Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 51, 520-525, 2009.
11. Chen, J.-Z., N. Wang, Y. He, and C.-H. Liang, "Fourth-order tri-band bandpass filter using square ring loaded resonators," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 15, 858-859, 2011.