This paper presents a very simple comb shaped single layer microstrip patch antenna with seven operating bands for wireless systems. Eight symmetrical rectangular strips are connected by a single strip to achieve multiple operating bands. The proposed antenna provides maximum number of resonating bands compared to the antennas of its class. Effects of additional strips and the connecting strip on the antenna characteristics are studied. A prototype of the antenna is fabricated for experimental validation. The measured reflection coefficient (S11) and radiation patterns are in good agreement with their simulated counterpart. Measured result shows that the proposed antenna can operate at seven different frequency bands 1.56-1.64 GHz, 1.76-1.94 GHz, 3.62-3.74 GHz, 4.43-4.48 GHz, 5.02-5.13 GHz, 5.48-5.62 GHz and 5.92-6.02 GHz. These bands cover some of the most useful bands for wireless systems such as GPS (1570.42-1580.42 MHz), DCS-1800 (1710-1880 MHz), PCS-1900 (1850-1990 MHz), WiMAX and WLAN.
2. Chakraborty, U., A. Kundu, S. K. Chowdhury, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Compact dual-band microstrip antenna for IEEE 802.11a WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 407-410, 2014.
3. Mok, W. C., S. H. Wong, K. M. Luk, and K. F. Lee, "Single-layer single-patch dual-band and triple-band patch antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, 4341-4344, 2013.
4. Peng, L., C.-L. Ruan, and X.-H. Wu, "Design and operation of dual/triple-band asymmetric M-shaped microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 1069-1072, 2010.
5. Liu, W.-C., C.-M. Wu, and Y. Dai, "Design of triple-frequency microstrip-fed monopole antenna using defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, 2457-2463, 2011.
6. Hu, W., Y.-Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical L-strips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
7. Genovesi, S., A. Monorchio, and S. Saponara, "Compact triple-frequency antenna for sub-GHz wireless communications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 14-17, 2012.
8. Ge, J. and L. Jin, "A compact multiband bow-tie dipole slot antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 56, 17-23, 2015.
9. Mehdipour, A., A.-R. Sebak, C. W. Trueman, and T. A. Denidni, "Compact multiband planar antenna for 2.4/3.5/5.2/5.8-GHz wireless applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 144-147, 2012.
10. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, 952-958, 2015.