This paper presents a novel multi-way multi-stage power divider design method based on the theory of small reflections. Firstly, the application of the theory of small reflections is extended from transmission line to microwave network. Secondly, an explicit closed-form analytical formula of the input reflection coefficient, which consists of the scattering parameters of power divider elements and the lengths of interconnection lines between each elements, is derived. Thirdly, the proposed formula is applied to determine the lengths of interconnection lines. A prototype of a 16-way 4-stage power divider working at 4 GHz is designed and fabricated. Both the simulation and measurement results demonstrate the validity of the proposed method.
2. Nova, E., J. Romeu, F. Torres, M. Pablos, J. M. Riera, A. Broquetas, and L. Jofre, "Radiometric and spatial resolution constraints in millimeter-wave close-range passive screener systems," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sens., Vol. 51, No. 4, 2327-2336, 2013.
3. Zhou, J., K. A. Morris, and M. J. Lancaster, "General design of multi-way multi-section power General design of multi-way multi-section power," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 55, No. 10, 2208-2215, 2007.
4. Xu, Y. and R. G. Bosisio, "Design of multi-way Wilkinson planar power dividers by using stepped impedance transformers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 9, 2781-2790, 2012.
5. Xu, Y. and R. G. Bosisio, "Design of wideband six- and eight-way Wilkinson planar power dividers using stepped impedance transformers," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 1, 189-192, January 2016.
6. Kishihara, M., I. Ohta, and K. Yamane, "Multi-stage, multi-way microstrip power dividers with broadband properties," IEICE Transactions on Electronics, Vol. 89, No. 5, 622-629, 2006.
7. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, Q. Xue, S. Li, and C. Yu, "Analytical design method of multiway dual-band planar power dividers with arbitrary power division," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 58, No. 12, 3832-3841, 2010.
8. Oraizi, H. and A. R. Sharifi, "Design and optimization of broadband asymmetrical multisection Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 5, 2220-2231, 2006.
9. Ahmed, U. T. and A. M. Abbosh, "Extremely wideband inphase power divider using modified Wilkinson design," Microwave and Optical Tech. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 8, 1799-1802, 2015.
10. Li, J. L. and B. Z. Wang, "Novel design of Wilkinson power dividers with arbitrary power division ratios," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 58, No. 6, 2541-2546, 2011.
11. Wu, Y., Y. Liu, Y. Zhang, J. Gao, and H. Zhou, "A dual band unequal Wilkinson power divider without reactive components," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 1, 216-222, 2009.
12. Park, M. J. and B. Lee, "A dual-band Wilkinson power divider," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 2, 85-87, 2008.
13. Lu, L. H., Y. T. Liao, and C. R. Wu, "A miniaturized Wilkinson power divider with CMOS active inductors," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 775-777, 2005.
14. Gong, J. Q., K. Gao, and C. H. Liang, "Synthesis of a miniaturised wireless local area network dual-band microstrip Wilkinson power divider through a general three-step optimisation process," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 12, 1274-1278, 2015.
15. David, M. P., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., 250-252, John Wiley & Sons, the United States of America, 2009.