This paper presents the use of micro-electromechanical systems (MEMS) switches to realize the radiation pattern reconfiguration of microstrip antenna, which works in Ka-band. The antenna was fabricated on a silicon substrate and designed to reconfigure radiation pattern at the operation frequency of 35 GHz. The simulation results show that by controlling the states of MEMS switches between the driven element and two parasitic elements, the antenna can achieve reconfigure into three maximum radiation directions in the H-plane (θ=0°, ψ=90°, θ=14°, ψ=90°, and θ=-14°, ψ=90°, respectively). The measured maximum radiation directions of modes-1, modes-2, modes-3, modes-4 are θ=17°, -25°, 3.5°,0.7° and gains of four modes at the maximum radiation direction are 5.78 dBi, 6.49 dBi, 7.24 dBi, 6.31 dBi, respectively. The measured results are closely consistent with the simulation ones. The proposed antenna can be applied to satellite communication.
2. Xiao, S., C. Zheng, M. Li, J. Xiong, and B.-Z. Wan, "Varactor-loaded pattern reconfigurable array for wide-angle scanning with low gain fluctuation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2364-2369, May 2015.
3. Jung, T. J., I.-J. Hyeon, C.-W. Baek, and S. Lim, "Circular/linear polarization reconfigurable antenna on simplified RF-MEMS packaging platform in K-band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5039-5045, Nov. 2012.
4. Qin, P.-Y., Y. J. Guo, A. R. Weily, and C.-H. Liang, "A pattern reconfigurable U-slot antenna and its applications in MIMO systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 516-528, Feb. 2012.
5. Cao, W., B. Zhang, A. Liu, T. Yu, D. Guo, and K. Pan, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 453-456, 2012.
6. Van Caekenberghe, K. and K. Sarabandi, "A 2-bit ka-band RF MEMS frequency tunable slot antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 179-182, 2008.
7. Petit, L., L. Dussopt, and J.-M. Laheurte, "MEMS-switched parasitic-antenna array for radiation pattern diversity," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 9, 2624-2631, Sep. 2006.
8. Zohur, A., H. Mopidevi, D. Rodrigo, M. Unlu, L. Jofre, and B. A. Cetiner, "RF MEMS reconfigurable two-band antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 72-75, 2013.
9. Rajagopalan, H., J. M. Kovitz, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "MEMS reconfigurable optimized E-shaped patch antenna design for cognitive radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 3, 1056-1063, Mar. 2014.
10. Kovitz, J. M., H. Rajagopalan, and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Design and implementation of broadband MEMS RHCP/LHCP reconfigurable arrays using rotated E-shaped patch elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 6, 2497-2507, Jun. 2015.
11. Chris, M., L. Gonzalez, and W. Hall, "Relative performance of mobile networks in the Ku, commercial Ka and government Ka bands," Military Communications Conference, 2081-2086, Baltimore, MD, Nov. 7-10, 2011.
12. Deng, Z. L., H. Gong, S. Fan, and C. H. Chen, "Ka-band radiation pattern reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna employing MEMS switches," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 411-414, 1674-1679, Sep. 2013.
13. Rebeiz, G. M., RF MEMS: Theory, Design, and Technology, Wiley, New York, 2003.
14. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.