To reduce the radar cross section (RCS) of a target, plasma coating on perfectly electric conducting plate is studied in this paper. Nonuniform helium plasma produced by a minitype solid rocket engine is with collisional and unmagnetized. Energy excited for generating helium plasma is investigated. Based on the collisional, unmagnetized, and cold plasma model, backscattering RCS is computed by using finite-difference time-domain method. Principle of RCS reduction is explained. To find minimum input energy while RCS reduced, relationship between input power and RCS reduction is discussed, and numerical optimization is also implemented. We can identify optimal parameters and choose the best electron density profile under condition of given input power level.
2. Vidmar, R. J., "On the use of atmospheric pressure plasma as electromagnetic reflectors and absorbers," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 18, No. 4, 733-741, 1990.
3. Yang, L. X., Y. T. Xie, and P. P. Yu, "Study of bandgap characteristics of 2D magnetoplasma photonic crystal by using M-FDTD method," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 53, No. 8, 1778-1784, 2011.
4. Tang, D. L., A. P. Sun, X. M. Qiu, and K. Chu, "Interaction of electromagnetic waves with a magnetized nonuniform plasma slab," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 31, No. 3, 405-410, 2003.
5. Liu, M., X. Hu, Z. Jiang, S. Zhang, C. Lan, and Y. Pan, "Reflection of a wave from a thin plasma layer attached to a metal plate by finite-difference time-domain analysis," Plasma Sources Sci. Technol., Vol. 16, 614-618, 2007.
6. Zobdeh, P., R. Sadighi-Bonabi, H. Afarideh, E. Yazdani, and R. Rezaei Nasirabad, "Using the steepened plasma profile and wave breaking threshold in laser-plasma interaction," Contributions to Plasma Phys., Vol. 48, 555-560, 2008.
7. Gurel, C. S. and E. Oncu, "Frequency selective characteristics of a plasma layer with sinusoidally varying electron density profile," Int. J. Infrared Millimeter Waves, Vol. 30, 589-597, 2009.
8. Chaudhury, B. and S. Chaturvedi, "Study and optimization of plasma-based radar cross section reduction using three-dimensional computations," IEEE Trans. on Plasma Science, Vol. 37, No. 11, 2116-2127, 2009.
9. Liu, J. F., X. L. Xi, G. B.Wan, and L. L.Wang, "A high efficient SO-FDTD method for magnetized collisional plasma," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 26, No. 14-15, 1911-1921, 2012.
10. Zeng, X. J., P. Ma, Z. F. Yu, Z. J. Wang, X. Y. Ma, and J. Li, "Experimental investigation and analysis on jet-plasma stealth in air surroundings," Journal of Experiments in Fluid Mechanics, Vol. 22, No. 1, 49-54, 2008 (in Chinese).
11. Heald, M. A. and C. B. Wharton, Plasma Diagnositics with Microwaves, Krieger, New York, 1978.
12. Howatson, A. M., An Introduction to Gas Discharges, Pergamon, New York, 1976.
13. Bakir, O., "Domain decomposition based hybrid methods for solving real-life electromagnetic scattering and radiation problems,", Ph. D. Thesis, University of Michigan, 2012.
14. Itikawa, Y., "Effective collision frequency of electrons in gases," Phys. Fluids, Vol. 16, No. 6, 831-835, 1973.