A novel wide-flare-angle corrugated horn covering the full Ku/Ka satellite communication frequency bands is designed and optimized. In order to satisfy the rigorous bandwidth requirements, a spline-profiled smooth section and a corrugated section with ring-loaded slots are introduced into the wide-flare-angle horn design. Instead of the ``trial-and-error'' method, the Differential Evolution (DE) algorithm is employed to obtain the optimum dimensions of the proposed horn. A prototype of the optimized horn is constructed and measured. Both simulated and measured results show that the proposed horn has good radiation and impedance performance. The performance of the horn is also demonstrated as a feed in a typical dual-reflector antenna. Simulation results show that the overall antenna system meets the usual performance requirements.
2. Thomas, B. M., K. J. Greene, and G. L. James, "A wide-band prime-focus horn for low-noise receiver applications," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 38, No. 11, 1898-1900, Nov. 1990.
3. Geen, D. and D. Smith, "Wide flare-angle horn antenna with means for radiating low levels of cross polarisation in two widely separated frequency bands," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1996 AP-S Digest, Vol. 3, 2026-2029, 1996.
4. Granet, C., "Optimisation of a spline-profile corrugated horn for prime-focus operations," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 9, 522-523, 2004.
5. Granet, C. and R. Gough, "Design of three prime-focus 12-mm-wavelength horns for the Parkes radio telescope," Microw. Opt. Tech. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 10, 2537-2543, 2008.
6. Lehmensiek, R. and I. P. Theron, "L-band feed horn and orthogonal mode transducer for the KAT-7 radio telescope," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 6, 1894-1901, Jun. 2011.
7. Granet, C., I. M. Davis, J. S. Kot, and G. Pope, "Theoretical design of a simultaneous Ku/Ka-band feed system," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-4, Barcelona, Spain, Apr. 2010.
8. Chang, Y.-C. and J. Hanlin, "Commercial Ka and Ku bands reflector antennas," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, 5175-5178, Honolulu, Jun. 2007.
9. Jamnejad, V. and A. Hoorfar, "Design of corrugated horn antennas by evolutionary optimization techniques," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 3, 276-279, 2004.
10. Lucci, L., R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, and S. Selleri, "Phase center optimization in profiled corrugated circular horns with parallel genetic algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 46, 127-142, 2004.
11. Agastra, E., G. Bellaveglia, L. Lucci, R. Nesti, G. Pelosi, G. Ruggerini, and S. Selleri, "Genetic algorithm optimization of high-efficiency wide-band multimodal square horns for discrete lens," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 335-352, 2008.
12. Storn, R. and K. Price, "Differential evolution: A simple and efficient heuristic for global optimization over continuous spaces," J. Global Optim., Vol. 11, 341-359, 1997.
13. TICRA, CHAMP, , Version 2.1, Denmark. [Online]. Available: http://www.ticra.com.
14. Deb, K., "An efficient constraint handling method for genetic algorithms," Comp. Methods Appl. Mech. Eng., Vol. 186, No. 2-4, 311-338, Jun. 2008.
15. TICRA, GRASP10, , Version 10.0. Copenhagen, Denmark [Online]. Available: http://www.ticra.com.