A wideband dual-polarized dipole antenna is presented using the differential feed technique. The proposed antenna consists of two horizontal bow-tie dipoles and four vertically oriented meandering strips. Two pairs of differential-fed L-shaped microstrip feed lines are used to excite the antenna. Due to the differential-fed technique, the cross polarization level can be reduced to -35 dB. With the introduction of the meandering strips connecting the radiating patch to the ground plane, the height of the antenna is about 0.102λ0. A parametric study is performed to provide information for designing and optimizing such an antenna. The proposed dipole antenna has been fabricated and measured. The impedance bandwidth of 48.3% (S11 < -10 dB) from 2.57 GHz to 4.21 GHz is achieved. The measured isolation between the feeding ports is better than 30 dB over the operating band. Moreover, the antenna has a compact structure and good unidirectional radiation pattern, making it conveniently integrated with microwave differential circuits and applied in the base station systems.
2. Zhao, X. L., J. Jin, J. C. Cheng, and L. G. Liang, "A wideband dual-polarized array antenna with conical elements for Wi-Fi/Wimax application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1609-1612, 2014.
3. Liu, C., J.-L. Guo, Y.-H. Huang, and L.-Y. Zhou, "A novel dual-polarized antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization for wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 32, 129-136, 2012.
4. Moradi, K. and S. Nikmehr, "A dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array antenna for base stations," Progress In Electromagnetic Research, Vol. 123, 527-541, 2012.
5. Gao, S. C., L. W. Li, M. S. Leong, and T. S. Yeo, "Dual-polarized slot-coupled planar antenna with wide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 3, 441-448, 2003.
6. Kramer, O., T. Djerafi, and K. Wu, "Vertically multilayer-stacked Yagi antenna with single and dual polarizations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 58, No. 4, 1022-1030, 2010.
7. Chiou, T. W. and K. L. Wong, "Broad-band dual-polarized single microstrip patch antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 50, No. 3, 399-401, 2002.
8. Sim, C. Y. D., C. C. Chang, and J. S. Row, "Dual-feed dual-polarized patch antenna with low cross polarization and high isolation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3405-3409, 2009.
9. Wang, J. and Y. Yin, "Ultra-wideband (UWB) differential-fed antenna with improved radiation patterns," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 53, 1-10, 2014.
10. Wang, S. J., L. Li, and M. Fang, "A novel compact differential microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 57, 97-101, 2015.
11. Wu, J., Y. Yin, Z. Wang, and R. Lian, "Dual-band circularly polarized antenna with differential feeding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 49, 11-17, 2014.
12. Li, L., J. Yang, X. Chen, X. Zhang, R. Ma, and W. Zhang, "Ultra-wideband differential wide-slot antenna with improved radiation patterns and gain," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 12, 6013-6018, 2012.