A low profile, compact antenna operating around 162 MHz with omnidirectional vertically polarized radiation is proposed. The antenna is a short monopole capacitively coupled to short-end quarter-wavelength printed line optimized at 162 MHz for Automatic Identification System (AIS) application. The antenna dimensions are less than λ/185 in height and λ/20 in lateral dimension, and the small size of antenna provides a narrow band of 0.34% and gain of -11.6 dBi. The simulated and measured results are in good agreement.
2. Dousset, T., C. Renard, H. Diez, and J. Sarrazin A. C. Lepage, "Compact patch antenna for automatic identification system (AIS)," 2012 15th International Symposium on Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-5, Toulouse, 2012.
3. Ammann, M. J. and Z. N. Chen, "Wideband monopole antennas for multi-band wireless systems," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 52, No. 2, 146-150, April 2003.
4. Tang, M.-C., T. Shi, and R.W. Ziolkowski, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with improved realized gain performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 64, No. 1, 61-69, January 2016.
5. Best, S. R., "A comparison of the performance properties of the Hilbert curve fractal and meander line monopole antennas," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., No. 35, 258-262, 2002.
6. Michishita, N. and Y. Yamada, "High efficiency achievement by material loading for a piled type small meander line antenna," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp, Vol. 1B, 492-495, July 2005.
7. Taachouche, Y., F. Colombel, and M. Himdi, "Meandered monopole coupled loop antenna," 2012 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), Prague, 3005-3008, 2012.
8. Hong, W. B. and K. Sarabandi, "Low-profile, multi element, miniaturized monopole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 1, 72-80, January 2009.
9. Maema, H. and T. Fukusako, "Radiation efficiency improvement for electrically small and low-profile antenna by stacked elements," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 305-308, 2014.
10. Cho, Y. K., G. H. Son, G. S. Chae, L. H. Yun, and J. Hong, "Improved analysis method for broadband rectangular microstrip antenna geometry using E-plane gap coupling," Electronics Letters, Vol. 29, No. 22, 1907-1909, October 28, 1993.
11. Kirschning, M., R. H. Jansen, and N. H. L. Koster, "Measurement and Computer-Aided Modeling of Microstrip Discontinuities by an Improved Resonator Method," 1983 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 495-497, May 31 1983–June 3, 1983.
12. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 2005.