A 3D printed dual-ridged horn antenna (DRHA) is presented. The antenna design is optimized for additive manufacturing and is 3D printed using acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS) and then painted with nickel based aerosol spray. The coaxial transition is also included in the 3D printed prototype. The antenna was manufactured with the intention of improving learning and education of electromagnetism and antennas for undergraduate students using a low-cost personal desktop 3D printer. The painted DRHA has a 10 dB return-loss bandwidth of 6621 MHz (1905 MHz-8526 MHz) with a peak gain of 11 dBi. This prototype is the first known ABS based horn antenna with the coaxial transition embedded into it.
2. Cohn, S. B., "Properties of the ridge wave guide," Proc. IRE, Vol. 35, No. 8, 783-789, 1947.
3. Ferris, S., et al., "Broadband antenna techniques study --- Report No. 1," Tech. Rep ECOM-01263-1, 2-17, The University of Michigan Radiation Lab, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1965.
4. Garcia, C. R., R. C. Rumph, H. H. Tsang, and J. H. Barton, "Effects of extreme surface roughness on 3D printed horn antenna," Elect. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 12, 734-736, 2013.
5. Chieh, J. C. S., B. Dick, S. Loui, and J. D. Rockway, "Development of a Ku-band corrugated conical horn using 3-D print technology," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 201-204, 2014.
6. Shang, J., W. J. Zhao, X. Li, and X. Jia, "75-500 MHz quadruple-ridged horn antenna with dual polarisation," Elect. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 8, 597-598, 2015.
7. Henshaw, S., "How to choose an infill for your 3D prints,", Sep. 16, 2015, [Online]. Available: http://3dprinting.com/tips-tricks/how-to-choose-an-infill-for-your-3d-prints/ [Accessed 06 Dec. 2015].
8. Smyth, C. T., Functional Design for 3D Printing: Designing 3D Printed Things for Everyday Use --- An Engineering Handbook, 2013.
9. Smyth, C. T., "Infill and strength: functional design doesn't dtop at the CAD desk,", Apr. 14, 2015, [Online]. Available: http://3dprintingforbeginners.com/inll-strength/ [Accessed 06 Dec. 2015].
10. Simplify3D., "Adding and modifying support structures,", 2015, [Online]. Available: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/tutorials/adding-and-modifying-support-structures/ [Ac-cessed 06 Dec. 2015].