A compact broadband bandpass filter (BPF) on Composite right/left-handed (CRLH) Quarter-Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (QMSIW) is presented and analyzed in this paper. A size reduction is implemented by etching the CRLH interdigital slots (CRLH-IS) in the compact QMSIW cavity to introduce a lower resonant frequency less than that of the QMSIW. The influence of the rotation angle of the CRLH-IS on the frequency response of the CRLH QMSIW BPF is analyzed, and the optimal rotation angle is used to implement a BPF with good out-band rejection. The proposed CRLH QMSIW shows the characteristics of low quality factor and high coupling coefficient that make it a good solution to design a broadband bandpass filter. The measured insertion loss is less than 1.8 dB at 4.43 GHz with a fractional bandwidth (FBW) of around 22%. The measured results agree well with the simulated ones.
2. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Single-substrate integration technique of planar circuits and waveguide filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 593-596, Feb. 2003.
3. Cassivi, Y., L. Perregrini, P. Arcioni, M. Bressan, K. Wu, and G. Conciauro, "Dispersion characteristics of substrate integrated rectangular waveguide," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, 333-335, 2002.
4. Deslandes, D. and K. Wu, "Integrated microstrip and rectangular waveguide in planar form," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 11, 68-70, 2001.
5. Wang, Y., W. Hong, Y. Dong, B. Liu, H. J. Tang, J. Chen, X. Yin, and K.Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, No. 4, 265-267, Apr. 2007.
6. Liu, B., W. Hong, Y.-Q. Wang, Q.-H .Lai, and K. Wu, "Half mode substrate integrated waveguide (HMSIW) 3-dB coupler," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 17, 22-24, Jan. 2007.
7. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide and half-mode substrate integrated waveguide," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 49-52, Boston, 2009.
8. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Promising future of metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 13, No. 2, 39-56, Mar.-Apr. 2012.
9. Zhao, Q., Z. L. Chen, J. Huang, G. Li, Z. Zhang, and W. Dang, "Compact dual-band bandpass filter based on composite right/left-handed substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split-ring resonators defected ground structure," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 28, No. 14, 1807-1814, 2014.
10. Zhang, Z., N. Yang, and K. Wu, "5-GHz bandpass filter demonstration using quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide cavity for wireless systems," Proceedings of IEEE Radio and Wireless Symposium, 95-98, 2009.
11. Zhang, S., T. Bian, Y. Zhai, W. Liu, G. Yang, and F. Liu, "Quarter substrate integrated waveguide resonator applied to fractal-shaped BPFs," Microw. Journal, Vol. 55, No. 5, 200-208, May 2012.
12. Mattaei, G. L., L. Young, and E. M. T. Tones, Microwave Filters, Impedance-Matching Network, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1980.
13. Senior, D. E., A. Rahimi, and Y.-K. Yoon, "A surface micromachined broadband millimeter-wave filter using quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide loaded with complementary split ring resonator," 2014 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1-4, Jun. 2014.
14. Huang, Y., Z. Shao, C. You, and G. Wang, "Size-reduced bandpass filters using quarter-mode substrate integrated waveguide loaded with different defected ground structure patterns," 2015 IEEE MTT-S Int. Microwave Symp. Dig., 1-4, 2015.