Vertical transition structure between grounded coplanar waveguide (GCPW) and stripline by Low Temperature Co-fired Ceramic (LTCC) technology is presented in this paper. In this structure, the top ground of the stripline is used as the GCPW lower ground, while the signal via goes through the middle ground plane. With increasing vertical signal via height, it can be more widely used in the higher height of multilayer System in Package (SiP) module packaging. The circular openings in the ground plane and additional shield vias around the transmission lines can provide great advantage in the radiation loss and decrease parasitic effects. The measurement results show that the return loss is less than -10 dB from 6 GHz to 35 GHz. Meanwhile, the insertion loss is better than -2 dB up to 28.4 GHz.
2. Simon, W., R. Kulke, A. Wien, I.Wolff, S. Baker, R. Powell, and M. Harrison, "Design of passive components for K-band communication modules in LTCC environment," IMAPS Symposium, 183-188, Chicago, 1999.
3. Marynowski, W. and J. Mazur, "Investigation of multilayer magic-T configurations using novel microstrip-slotline transitions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 91-108, 2012.
4. Costanzo, S., "Synthesis of multi-step coplanar waveguide-to-microstrip transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 113, 111-126, 2011.
5. Heyen, J., T. von Kerssenbrock, A. Chernyakov, P. Heide, and A. F. Jacob, "Novel LTCC/BGA modules for highly integrated millimeter-wave transceivers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 12, 2589-2596, 2003.
6. Xu, X., Q.-B. Huang, Z.-X. Zhu, H. Xu, and B. Zhang, "Novel design for microstrip to stripline transitions for millimeter-wave application in LTCC," Acta Astronautica, Vol. 104, No. 1, 256-259, 2014.
7. Panther, A., C. Glaser, M. G. Stubbs, and J. S. Wight, "Vertical transitions in low temperature co-fired ceramics for LMDS applications," IEEE MTT-S Digest, 1907-1910, 2001.
8. Gamez-Machodo, A., D. Valdes-Martin, A. Asensio-Lopez, and M. J. Gismero, "Microstrip-to-stripline planar transitions on LTCC," Microwave Workshop Series on Millimeter Wave Integration Technologies (IMWS), 1-4, 2011.
9. Nair, D. M., W. E. McKinzie III, B. A. Thrasher, M. A. Smith, E. D. Hughes, and J. M. Parisi, "A 10MHz to 100 GHz LTCC CPW-to-stripline vertical transition," IEEE Intl. Microwave Symp., 1-4, Seattle, WA, 2013.
10. Amaya, R. E., M. Li, K. Hettak, and C. J. Verver, "A broadband 3D vertical microstrip to stripline transition in LTCC using a quasi-coaxial structure for millimetre-wave SOP applications," 40th European Microwave Conference, 109-112, Paris, 2010.