An innovative decoupling microstrip antenna array is designed. In the design approach, a decoupling and folding microstrip circuit is proposed instead of lumped element circuit, so that the circuit structure is simplified, and the antenna array is fabricated easily in print. Inverted L shape is used as its radiator in order that the size of the antenna array is miniaturized. Stepped impedance transformer is added for the sake of weakening ports reflection. The simulation and measurement results show that the proposed antenna array works at 2.45 GHz, and its reflection coefficient and isolation are both below -20 dB in the working band (2.4 GHz-2.48 GHz). The proposed antenna array has patterns close to omnidirectional.
2. Andersen, J. B., "Array gain and capacity for known random channels with multiple element arrays at both ends," IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., Vol. 18, 2172-2178, Nov. 2000.
3. Cui, S., Y. Liu, and W. Jiang, "Compact dual-band monopole antennas with high port isolation," Electronics Lett., Vol. 47, No. 10, 579-58, May 2011.
4. Lu, S., H. T. Hui, and M. Bialkowski, "Performance analysis of multiple-input multiple-output orthogonal frequency division multiplexing systems under the influence of antenna mutual coupling effect," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 2, 288-295, March 2009.
5. Hui, H. S. and H. T. Lui, "Effective mutual coupling compensation for direction-of-arrival estimations using a new, accurate determination method for the receiving mutual impedance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves & Applications, Vol. 24, 271-281, 2010.
6. Yeung, L. K. and Y. E.Wang, "Mode-based beamforming arrays for miniaturized platforms," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 57, No. 1, 45-52, Jan. 2009.
7. Xu, H., G. Wang, and M. Qi, "Hilbert-shaped magnetic waveguided metamaterials for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," IEEE Trans. Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 4, 1526-1529, Apr. 2013.
8. Yeung, L. K. and Y. E. Wang, "A decoupling technique for compact antenna arrays in handheld terminals," IEEE Trans. Radio and Wireless Symposium (RWS), 80-83, New Orleans, LA, 2010.
9. Kim, I., W. J. Kim, Y. Kim, and Y. E. Kim, "Low-profile wideband MIMO antenna with suppressing mutual coupling between two antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Lett., Vol. 50, No. 5, 1336-1339, 2008.
10. Luo, C. M., J. S. Hong, and L. L. Zhong, "Isolation enhancement of a very compact UWB-MIMO slot antenna with two defected ground structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1766-1769, Apr. 2015.
11. Zhu, J. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A simple approach for reducing mutual coupling in two closely spaced metamaterial-inspired monopole antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, No. 1, 379-382, 2010.
12. Dadashzadeh, G., A. Dadgarpour F. Jolani, and B. S. Virdee, "Mutual coupling suppression in closely spaced antennas," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, No. 1, 113-125, 2011.
13. Park, S. and C. Jung, "Compact MIMO antenna with high isolation performance," IET Electronics letters, Vol. 46, No. 6, 390-391, 2010.
14. Chen, S. C., Y. S. Wang, and S. J. Chung, "A decoupling technique for increasing the port isolation between two strongly coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3650-3658, Dec. 2008.
15. Tang, X., K. Mouthaan, and J. C. Coetzee, "Tunable decoupling and matching network for diversity enhancement of closely spaced antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 268-271, 2012.
16. Pozar, D M., Microwave Engineering, Wiley. com, 2009.
17. Zhao, L., L. K. Yeung, and K. L. Wu, "A novel second-order decoupling for two-element compact antenna arrays," Microwave Conf., Asia-Pacific, 1172-1174, 2012.
18. Zhao, L., L. K. Yeung, and K. L. Wu, "A coupled resonator decoupling network for two-element compact antenna arrays in mobile terminals," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2767-2776, May 2014.
19. Zhao, L. and K. L. Wu, "A dual-band coupled resonator decoupling network for two coupled antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 7, 2843-2850, Jul. 2015.
20. Lui, H.-S., H. T. Hui, and M. S. Leong, "A note on the mutual-coupling problems in transmitting and receiving antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 51, No. 5, 171-176, Oct. 2009.