A broadband microstrip line-to-waveguide (MSL-to-WG) transition is developed for E-band applications. In order to achieve a sufficient and broadband coupling between the microstrip line (MSL) and waveguide (WG), a radial electric probe at the end of the MSL and extended ground (GND) planes on the dielectric substrate are proposed. Results are compared against a simple transition (S-Tr) with a straight electric probe. For the case of operational bandwidth (BW) for an input return loss (S11) below -20 dB, the proposed transitions using the radial probe and extended GND planes show the BW enhancement of 33.8% and 61.9%, respectively, compared to the S-Tr. The proposed and simple transitions were fabricated on a low-loss liquid crystal polymer (LCP) dielectric substrate. The measured bandwidth (BW) for S11 below -10 dB of the proposed transition is over 28 GHz, which is satisfied at all test frequencies from 67 to 95 GHz. Its measured insertion loss can be analyzed as -1.33 and -1.41 dB per transition at 70 and 80 GHz, respectively, considering the loss contribution of the cable adapter and waveguide transition.
2. Gresham, I., N. Jain, T. Budka, A. Alexanian, N. Kinayman, B. Ziegner, S. Brown, and P. Staecker, "A compact manufacturable 76-77-GHz radar module for commercial ACC applications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 49, 44-58, 2001.
3. Mehrpouyan, H., M. Khanzadi, M. Matthaiou, A. Sayeed, R. Schober, and Y. Hua, "Improving bandwidth efficiency in e-band communication systems," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 52, 121-128, 2014.
4. Aliakbarian, H., A. Enayati, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and W. De Raedt, "Novel low-cost end-wall microstrip-to-waveguide splitter transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 101, 75-96, 2010.
5. Dong, J., T. Yang, Y. Liu, Z. Yang, and Y. Zhou, "Broadband rectangular waveguide to GCPW transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 46, 107-112, 2014.
6. Shih, Y.-C., T.-N. Ton, and L. Q. Bui, "Waveguide-to-microstrip transitions for millimeter-wave applications," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 473-475, 1988.
7. Yano, H. Y., A. Abdelmonem, J. F. Liang, and K. A. Zaki, "Analysis and design of microstrip to waveguide transition," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 42, 2371-2379, 1994.
8. Kaneda, N., Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A broad-band microstrip-to-waveguide transition using quasi-Yagi antenna," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 47, 2562-2567, 1999.
9. Sakakibara, K., M. Hirono, N., Kikuma, and H. Hirayama, "Broadband and planar microstrip-to-waveguide transitions in millimeter-wave band," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1278-1281, 2008.
10. Lee, Y. C. and C. S. Park, "A compact broadband PHEMT MMIC power amplifier for K through Ka-band applications," Int. J. Electron. Commun. (AEU), Vol. 57, 1-4, 2003.
11. Marcuvitz, N., Waveguide Handbook, Chapter 5, IEE Press, London, U.K., 1993.