The miniaturization of the patch antenna has become an important issue in reducing the volume of entire communication system. This paper presents an improved method of size reduction of a microstrip antenna using the genetic algorithm. The shape of a typical rectangular patch is modified in order to reduce it resonance frequency keeping the physical volume of the antenna constant. Indeed, the initial patch is divided into 10 × 10 small uniform rectangles (Pixel), and the genetic algorithm searches, the optimal configuration for the desired goal. The resonance frequency of a micro-strip patch is shifted from 4.9 GHz to 2.16 GHz and a rate of miniaturization is up to 82%. To validate the procedure, an antenna prototype has been fabricated and tested with an FR4 substrate. The measurements results were in good agreement with simulation ones.
2. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, and M. Aghoutane, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with spiral defected microstrip structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 53, 77-44, 2015.
3. Elftouh, H., N. A. Touhami, M. Aghoutane, S. El Amrani, A. Tazon, and M. Boussouis, "Miniaturized microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 55, 25-33, 2014.
4. Lee, K. C. and J.-Y. Jhang, "Application of particle swarm algorithm to the optimization of unequally spaced antenna arrays," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 14, 2001-2012, 2012.
5. Soontornpipit, P., C. M. Furse, and Y. C. Chung, "Miniaturized biocompatible microstrip antenna using genetic algorithms," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 6, 1939-1945, 2005.
6. Herscovici, N., M. F. Osorio, and C. Peixeiro, "Miniaturization of rectangular microstrip patches using genetic algorithms," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 1, No. 1, 94-97, 2002.
7. Jayasinghe, J. W. and D. N. Uduwawala, "A novel miniature multi-frequency broadband patch antenna for WLAN applications," 8th IEEE Int. Conf. Ind. Inf. Syst., 361-363, Peradeniya, December 2013.
8. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms in engineering elecromagnetics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 10, 7-21, 1997.
9. Weile, D. S. and E. Michielssen, "Genetic algorithm optimization applied to electromagnetics: A review," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 45, No. 3, 343-353, 1997.
10. Jayasinghe, J. M. J. W. and D. N. Uduwawala, "A broadband triple-frequency patch antenna for WLAN applications using genetic algorithm optimization," 7th IEEE Int. Conf. Ind. Inf. Syst. (ICIIS), 1-4, Chennai, August 1986.
11. Jayasinghe, J. M. J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "Genetic algorithm optimization of a high-directivity microstrip patch antenna having a rectangular profile," Radioengineering, Vol. 22, No. 3, 1-4, 2012.
12. Haupt, R. L. and S. E. Haupt, Practical Genetic Algorithms, John Wiley, 2004.
13. Johnson, J. M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments (GA/MOM) for the design of integrated antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 10, 1606-1614, 1999.
14. Jayasinghe, J., J. Anguera, and D. Uduwawala, "On the behavior of several fitness functions for genetically optimized microstrip antennas," Int. J. Sci. World, Vol. 3, No. 1, 53-58, 1999.
15. Su, D. Y., D. M. Fu, and D. Yu, "Genetic algorithms and method of moments moments for the design of pifas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 9-18, 2008.
16. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "A high-directivity microstrip patch antenna design by using genetic algorithm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 131-144, 1986.
17. John, M. and M. J. Ammann, "Wideband printed monopole design using genetic algorithm," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 447-449, 2007.