A method for extracting a desired network from the composite measurement of a desired and undesired networks combination is proposed. The desired network is required to be a reciprocal and passive network. Time-domain responses are chosen by time-domain gates according to the signal flow diagram of the measured networks. This method can be used to characterize fixtures and de-embed of fixtures effects from the composite measurement of a device under test (DUT) and fixtures combination. This method can also compensate for masking errors. Extraction for the S-parameters of the desired network are described in detail, and the extraction result is validated with two simulations.
2. Zhang, J., Q. B. Chen, K. Qiu, A. C. Scogna, M. Schauer, G. Romo, J. L. Drewniak, and A. Orlandi, "Design and modeling for chip-to-chip communication at 20 Gbps," 2010 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), 467-472, Fort Lauderdale, FL, 2010.
3. Hiebel, M., "Measurement accuracy and calibration," Fundamental Vector Network Analysis, 5th Edition, 109-131, Rohde & Schwarz, Germany, 2011.
4. Zhang, J., Q. B. Chen, Z. Qiu, J. L. Drewniak, and A. Orlandi, "Using a single-ended TRL calibration pattern to de-embed coupled transmission lines," IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 197-202, Austin, 2009.
5. Dunsmore, J., N. Cheng, and Y.-X. Zhang, "Characterizations of asymmetric fixtures with a two-gate approach," 2011 77th ARFTG Microwave Measurement Conference (ARFTG), 1-6, Baltimore, MD, 2011.
6. Adamian, V. and B. Cole, "A novel procedure for characterization of multiport high speed balanced devices," 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 395-398, San Jose, CA, 2007.
7. Dunsmore, J., "Time domain transforms," Handbook of Microwave Component Measurements: With Advanced VNA Techniques, 182-192, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.
8. Pozar, D. M., "Microwave network analysis," Microwave Engineering, 4th Edition, 178-188, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2012.
9. Chu, E., "Discrete convolution and the DFT," Discrete and Continuous Fourier Transforms: Analysis, Applications and Fast Algorithms, 27-29, CRC Press, New York, 2008.
10. Yoon, C., M. Tsiklauri, M. Zvonkin, Q. B. Chen, A. Razmadze, A. Aflaki, K. Jingook, J. Fan, and J. L. Drewniak, "Design criteria and error sensitivity of time-domain channel characterization (TCC) for asymmetry fixture de-embedding," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 57, No. 4, 836-846, Aug. 2015.
11. Mason, S. J., "Feedback theory — Further properties of signal flow graphs," Proceedings of the IRE, Vol. 44, No. 7, 920-926, Jul. 1956.
12. Joel, D., "Gating effects in time domain transforms," 2008 72nd ARFTG Microwave Measurement Symposium, 1-8, Portland, OR, 2008.