ƒA novel compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna (CPMA) with bandwidth enhancement is proposed and studied. By employing capacitive loading and inductive loading, the size miniaturization is achieved. The cross-shaped aperture in the ground plane is able to excite two orthogonal modes. The near-equal amplitudes and 90° phase difference between these two modes are realized by properly designing the feed network, i.e., a 0°-90° hybrid comprising a 3-dB Wilkinson power divider cascaded with a 90° phase shifter. The proposed antenna exhibits a global bandwidth of 11.5% ranging from 1.88 GHz to 2.11 GHz with an overall size 50 mm × 50 mm × 6.8 mm (0.33λ0 × 0.33λ0 × 0.045λ0). The global bandwidth is defined where return loss is larger than 10 dB, broadside axial ratio (AR) smaller than 3 dB, and gain above 0 dBic.
2. James, J. R., P. S. Hall, and C. Wood, Microstrip Antenna Theory and Design, Peter Peregrinus, London, U.K., 1981.
3. Carver, K. R. and J. W. Mink, "Microstrip antenna technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 29, No. 1, 2-24, 1981.
4. Pozar, D. M., "Microstrip antennas," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, 1992.
5. Targonski, S. D. and D. M. Pozar, "Design of wide-band circularly polarized aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 41, No. 2, 214-220, 1993.
6. Gardiol, F. E. and J. F. Zuercher, "Broad-band patch antennas — A SSFIP update," IEEE AP-S Int. Symp. Dig., 2-5, 1996.
7. Aksun, M. I., S. L. Chuang, and Y. T. Lo, "On slot-coupled microstrip antennas and their applications to CP operation — Theory and experiment," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 38, No. 8, 1224-1230, 1990.
8. Oliver, M. B., Y. M. M. Antar, R. K. Mongia, and A. Ittipiboon, "Circularly polarized rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 6, 418-419, 1995.
9. Esselle, K. P., "Circularly polarized higher-order rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 3, 150-151, 1996.
10. Li, J. X., J. Y. Guo, A. X. Zhang, W. T. Joines, and Q. H. Liu, "Miniaturized single-feed cross-aperture coupled circularly polarized microstrip patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 63, 183-191, 2016.
11. Vlasits, T., E. Korolkiewicz, A. Sambell, and B. Robinson, "Performance of a cross-aperture coupled single feed circularly polarized patch antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 7, 612-613, 1996.
12. Huang, C. Y., J. Y. Wu, and K. L. Wong, "Cross-slot-coupled microstrip antenna and dielectric resonator antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 47, No. 4, 605-609, 1999.
13. Wong, K. L. and T. W. Chiou, "Broad-band single-patch circularly polarized microstrip antenna with dual capacitively coupled feeds," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, No. 1, 41-44, 2001.
14. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, Peter Peregrinus, London, U.K., 1989.
15. Lu, J. H. and C. L. Tang, "Circular polarization design of a single-feed equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 4, 319-321, 1998.
16. Wong, K. L. and J. Y. Wu, "Single-feed small circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 33, 1833-1834, 1997.
17. Yang, M., Z. N. Chen, P. Y. Lau, X. Qing, and X. Yin, "Miniaturized patch antenna with grounded strips," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 843-848, 2015.