A wideband sequential-phase-feeding circularly polarized (CP) patch array is proposed in this paper. A well-designed meta-surface is placed above the array to enhance its impedance and axial ratio (AR) bandwidths. The proposed patch array has an overall size of 1.275λo×1.275λo×0.0935λo at 5.1 GHz. Measured results show that the impedance bandwidth (|S11|<-10 dB) of the array is 24.26% from 4.74 GHz to 6.05 GHz, and its 3 dB axial ratio bandwidth is 19% from 4.75 GHz to 5.75 GHz. The measured gain of the array at 5.7 GHz is 10.8 dBic. The measured results agree well with the simulated ones.
2. Mohammadi, P. and V. Rafii, "High gain and broadband circularly polarized square slot antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 43, 105-113, 2013.
3. Fan, F., W. Wang, Z.-H. Yan, and K.-B. Tan, "Circularly polarized SIW antenna array based on sequential rotation feeding," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 47-53, 2014.
4. Xu, P., Z.-H. Yan, T.-L. Zhang, and X.-Q. Yang, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array with Fan-shaped feed line and L-shaped grounded strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 44, 125-131, 2014.
5. Ramirez, R. R., F. D. Flaviis, and N. G. Alexopoulos, "Single-feed circularly polarized microstrip ring antenna and arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 48, No. 2, 1040-1047, 2000.
6. Lo, W. K., C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Circularly polarised patch antenna array using proximity-coupled L-strip line feed," Electron. Lett., Vol. 36, No. 14, 1174-1175, 2000.
7. Lu, K. H. and T. N. Chang, "Circularly polarized array antenna with corporate-feed network and series-feed elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 10, 3288-3292, 2005.
8. Deng, C., Y. Li, Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "A wideband sequential-phase fed circularly polarized patch array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 7, 3890-3893, 2014.
9. Chen, A., Y. Zhang, Z. Chen, and S. Cao, "A Ka-band high-gain circularly polarized microstrip antenna array," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1115-1118, 2010.
10. Lin, S.-K. and Y. Lin, "A compact sequential-phase feed using uniform transmission lines for circularly polarized sequential-rotation arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2721-2724, 2011.
11. Karamzadeh, S., B. Virdee, V. Rafii, and M. Kartal, "Circularly polarized slot antenna array with sequentially rotated feed network for broadband application," International Journal of RF and microwave Computer, Vol. 25, No. 4, 358-363, 2015.
12. Karamzadeh, S., V. Rafii, H. Saygin, and M. Kartal, "Polarisation diversity cavity back reconfigurable array antenna for C-band application," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 10, 955-960, 2016.
13. Rafii, V., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and J. Pourahmadazar, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array using sequentially rotated technique for C-band applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 128-131, 2013.
14. Karamzadeh, S., V. Rafii, M. Kartal, O. N. Ucan, and B. S. Virdee, "Circularly polarised array antenna with cascade feed network for broadband application in C-band," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 17, 1184-1186, 2014.
15. Maddio, S., "A circularly polarized antenna array with a convenient bandwidth/size ratio based on non-identical disc elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 57, 47-54, 2015.
16. Li, K., L. Li, and Y. Cai, "A novel design of low-profile dual-band circularly polarized antenna with meta-surface," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 1650-1653, 2015.
17. Wu, J., Z. Wang, X. Liu, and Y. Yin, "Low-profile broadband circularly-polarized antennas with metamaterial structures," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1565-1568, 2015.
18. Agarwal, K., Nasimuddin, and A. Alphones, "Compact asymmetric-slotted-slit patch based circularly-polarized antenna with reactive impedance surface substrate," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 54, No. 11, 2505-2510, 2012.
19. Yang, W., K. Tam, and W. Choi, "Novel polarization rotation technique based on an artificial magnetic conductor and its application in a low-profile circular polarization antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 12, 6206-6216, 2014.
20. Cao, B., J. Dai, D. Li, H.Wang, and W. Shi, "A Ka-band axial ratio bandwidth enhanced circularly polarized LTCC patch antenna with truncated artificial magnetic conductor," 2014 3rd Asia-Pacific Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 403-406, 2014.