A novel polarization conversion metasurface (PCM) is proposed and applied to radar cross section (RCS) reduction. The proposed design has the advantage of simple geometry while simultaneously reducing RCS over broadband. The metasurface is created by the combination of an oblique split ring resonator (SRR) and a cut-wire resonator, which is capable of converting a linear polarization state into its orthogonal one. The simulation results show that the 10 dB bandwidth of polarization conversion is obtained in wideband from 9.4 to 19.2 GHz, with an average polarization conversion ratio (PCR) of nearly 100%. Due to the high PCR, RCS reduction of 10 dB can be realized over 60% frequency bandwidth with respect to the equal-sized PEC ground plane. The maximum reduction is 32.8 dB. To validate the simulation results, prototypes of the PCM are fabricated and measured. Excellent agreement between simulations and measurements is achieved.
2. Pan, W. B., C. Huang, P. Chen, X. L. Ma C.-G. Hu, and X.-G. Luo, "A low-RCS and high-gain partially reflecting surface antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 945-949, Feb. 2014.
3. Costa, F. and A. Monorchio, "A frequency selective radome with wideband absorbing properties," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2740-2747, Jun. 2012.
4. Li, Y. Q., H. Zhang, Y. Q. Fu, and N. C. Yuan, "RCS reduction of ridged waveguide slot antenna array using EBG radar absorbing material," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 473-476, 2008.
5. Paquay, M., J. C. Iriarte, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Thin AMC structure for radar cross-section reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3630-3638, Dec. 2007.
6. De Cos, M. E., Y. Alvarez, and F. Las-Heras, "A novel approach for RCS reduction using a combination of artificial magnetic conductors," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 107, 147-159, 2010.
7. Iriarte, J. C., A. T. Pereda, J. L. M. de Falcon, I. Ederra, R. Gonzalo, and P. de Maagt, "Broadband radar cross-section reduction using AMC technology," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 61, No. 12, 6136-6143, Dec. 2013.
8. Chen, W. G., C. A. Balanis, and C. R. Birtcher, "Checkerboard EBG surfaces for wideband radar cross section reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 63, No. 6, 2636-2645, Jun. 2015.
9. Zheng, Y. J., J. Gao, X.-Y. Cao, Z.-D. Yuan, and H.-H. Yang, "Wideband RCS reduction of a microstrip antenna using artificial magnetic conductor structures," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1582-1585, 2015.
10. Liu, Y., K. Li, Y.-T. Jia, Y.-W. Hao, S. X. Gong, and Y. J. Guo, "Wideband RCS reduction of a slot array antenna using polarization conversion metasurface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 326-331, Jan. 2016.
11. Jia, Y.-T., Y. Liu, Y. J. Guo, K. Li, and S. X. Gong, "Broadband polarization rotation reflective surfaces and their applications to RCS reduction," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 179-188, Jan. 2016.
12. Liu, Y., Y.-W. Hao, K. Li, and S. X. Gong, "Radar cross section reduction of a microstrip antenna based on polarization conversion metamaterial," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 80-83, 2016.
13. Grady, N. K., J. E. Heyes, D. R. Chowdhury, Y. Zeng, M. T. Reiten, A. K. Azad, A. J. Taylor, D. A. R. Dalvit, and H.-T. Chen, "Terahertz metamaterials for linear polarization conversion and anomalous refraction," Science, Vol. 340, 1304-1307, Jun. 2013.
14. Gao, X., X. Han, W. P. Cao, H. O. Li, H. F. Ma, and T. J. Cui, "Ultrawideband and high-efficiency linear polarization converter based on double V-shaped metasurface," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 63, No. 8, 3522-3530, Aug. 2015.
15. Yu, N.-F., P. Genevet, M. A. Kats, F. Aieta, J. P. Tetienne, F. Capasso, and Z. Gaburro, "Light propagation with phase discontinuities: Generalized laws of reflection and refraction," Science, Vol. 334, 333-337, Oct. 2011.