In this paper, based on cross-dipoles, a right-handed circularly polarized (RHCP) antenna with both broad impedance and axial-ratio (AR) bandwidth is proposed. Moreover, metal vias and branches are loaded to the cross-dipoles aiming to decrease the size of the antenna. The measured results show that a broadband impedance matching bandwidth ranging from 1.83 to 3.42 GHz for S11 less than -10 dB is obtained. Meanwhile, the 3-dB axial-ratio bandwidth is more than 29.0%, and the peak gain of the antenna is about 7.3 dBi with small variation at 2.5 GHz. A prototype is fabricated and measured for validating the design. The good agreements between the simulated and measured results show that the proposed antenna maybe a good candidate in circularly polarized (CP) antenna family.
2. Chen, H. M., Y. K. Wang, Y. F. Lin, C. Y. Lin, and S. C. Pan, "Microstrip-fed circularly polarized square-ring patch antenna for GPS applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, Apr. 2009.
3. Prajapati, P. R., G. G. K. Murthy, A. Patnaik, and M. V. Kartikeyan, "Design and testing of a compact circularly polarised microstrip antenna with fractal defected ground structure for l-band applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 11, 1179-1185, 2015.
4. Lo, W. K., J.-L. Hu, C. H. Chan, and K. M. Luk, "Circularly polarized patch antenna with an L-shaped probe fed by a microstrip line," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, Oct. 2000.
5. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, and A. A. Kishk, "Planar wideband circularly polarized antenna design with rectangular ring dielectric resonator and parasitic printed loops," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 905-908, 2012.
6. Ismail, M. F., M. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, and H. A. Majid, "Miniature dual-fed circularly polarized antenna with slotted ground plane," 2012 Asia Pacific Microwave Conference Proceedings, 1187-1189, Dec. 4-7, 2012.
7. Sabran, M. I., S. K. A. Rahim, M. S. A. Rani, and M. Z. M. Nor, "A single band dual-fed circular polarization microstrip antenna for RFID application," RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 2011 IEEE International, 137-140, Dec. 12-14, 2011.
8. Song, C. Y., Y. Huang, Q. Xu, and U. U. Hussine, "A broadband circularly polarized cross-dipole antenna for GNSS applications," Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 2015.
9. Baik, J. W., T. H. Lee, S. Pyo, S. M. Han, J. Jeong, and Y. S. Kim, "Broadband circula polarized crossed dipole with parasitic loop resonators and its arrays," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 59, No. 1, 80-88, 2011.
10. Lin, Y. F., Y. K. Wang, H. M. Chen, and Z. Z. Yang, "Circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with phase delay lines for RFID handheld reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 3, 1221-1227, 2012.
11. Yang, X. J., J. D. Yuan, and G. D. Han, "Compact circularly polarized crossed dipole antenna with chip inductors and square rings loading for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 58, 29-35, 2016.
12. Zuo, S. L., Q. Q. Liu, and Z. Y. Zhang, "Wideband dual-polarized crossed-dipole antenna with parasitical crossed-strip for base station applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 159-166, 2014.
13. He, Y. J., W. He, and H. Wong, "A wideband circularly polarized cross-dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 67-70, 2014.
14. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Semi-analytic solution to a cylindrical microstrip with inhomogeneous substrate," Electromagnetics, Vol. 27, 527-544, 2007.
15. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic propagation into parallel-plate waveguide in the presence of a skew metallic surface," Electromagnetics, Vol. 31, 593-605, 2011.
16. Sabran, M. I., S. K. A. Rahim, M. S. A. Rani, and M. Z. M. Nor, "A single band dual-fed circular polarization microstrip antenna for RFID application," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM 2011), 137-140, Dec. 12-14, 2011.
17. Bao, X. L. and M. J. Ammann, "A printed dipole antenna for wideband circular polarization operation," 2009 3rd European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2367-2370, Mar. 23-27, 2009.