A novel CPW-fed dual-band multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) antenna with a common radiating element for WiMax/3.5G and WLAN/5.8G is proposed in this paper. The proposed MIMO antenna which has dimensions of 30 mm×30 mm×1.6 mm consists of an irregular ring-shaped ground plane and a shared radiating element. Furthermore, this MIMO antenna has a good performance in the port isolation by using a T-shaped structure and four slots on the ground. The measured bandwidths of the designed MIMO antenna are 3.32-3.74 GHz and 5.45-6.05 GHz. In the meantime, the measured isolation of the MIMO antenna is higher than 20 dB in both bands.
2. Kwon, J., D. Kim, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Design of a MIMO antenna for USB dongle application using common grounding," Proceedings of the 13th International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (ICACT’11), 313-316, 2011.
3. Zhou, X., X. Quan, and R. Li, "A dual-broadband MIMO antenna system for GSM/UMTS/LTE and WLAN handsets," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 551-554, 2012.
4. Chung, K. and J. H. Yoon, "Integrated MIMO antenna with high isolation characteristic," Electronics Letters, Vol. 43, No. 4, 199-201, 2007.
5. Yang, C., et al., "Quad-band antenna with high isolation MIMO and broadband SCS for broadcasting and telecommunication services," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 584-587, 2010.
6. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, and Z. M. Wang, "Reducing mutual coupling of closely spaced microstrip MIMO antennas for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 310-313, 2011.
7. Park, J., J. Choi, J. Y. Park, and Y. S. Kim, "Study of a T-shaped slot with a capacitor for high isolation between MIMO antennas," IEEE Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1541-1544, 2012.
8. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, Aug. 2013.