In this paper a pattern synthesis method based on Differential Evolution Algorithm (DE) is presented to generate dual beam patterns from a planar array of isotropic antennas. These are cosec2 pattern and pencil beam pattern. These patterns are obtained by finding out an optimum set of common elements amplitude (for cosec2 pattern as well as a pencil beam pattern), and a set of phases, for cosec2 pattern only. 4-bit discrete amplitudes and 5-bit discrete phases are used to reduce the design complexity of feed network. The beam patterns have been generated in two different azimuth planes instead of one particular plane. The evaluated excitations are also verified by considering a range of arbitrarily chosen azimuth planes, where the patterns are generated with some minor variations of the desired parameters. Obtained results clearly established the effectiveness of the proposed method.
2. Elliott, R. S., Antenna Theory & Design, Revised Ed., Wiley-IEEE Press, Dec. 2002.
3. Diaz, X., J. A. Rodriguez, F. Ares, and E. Moreno, "Design of phase-differentiated multiple pattern antenna arrays," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 26, No. 1, 52-53, 2000.
4. Durr, M., A. Trastoy, and F. Ares, "Multiple-pattern linear antenna arrays with single prefixed amplitude distributions: Modified Woodward-Lawson synthesis," Electronics Letters, Vol. 36, No. 16, 1345-1346, 2000.
5. Azaro, R., G. Boato, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Design of a prefractal monopolar antenna for 3.4–3.6GHz Wi-Max band portable devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 05, No. 1, 116-119, 2006.
6. Azaro, R., F. G. B. De Natale, M. Donelli, A. Massa, and E. Zeni, "Optimized design of a multifunction/multiband antenna for automotive rescue systems," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 2, 392-400, 2006.
7. Morabito, A. F., T. Isernia, and L. Di Donato, "Optimal synthesis of phase-only reconfigurable linear sparse arrays having uniform amplitude excitations," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 124, 405-423, 2012.
8. Chatterjee, A., G. K. Mahanti, and R. P. S. Mahapatra, "Design of fully digital controlled reconfigurable dual-beam concentric ring array antenna using gravitational search algorithm," Journal Title Abbreviation, Vol. 34, No. 10, 1064-1076, 2013.
9. Massa, A., M. Donelli, F. G. B., De Natale, S. Caorsi, and A. Lommi, "Planar antenna array control with genetic algorithms and adaptive array theory," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 52, No. 11, 2919-2924, 2014.
10. Mandal, D., V. P. Roy, A. Chatterjee, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Synthesis of dual radiation pattern of rectangular planar array antenna using Evolutionary Algorithm," ICTACT Journal on Communication Technology, Vol. 06, No. 03, 1146-1149, 2015.
11. Price, K. V., R. M. Storn, and J. A. Lampinen, Differential Evolution: A practical Approach to Global Optimization (Natural Computing Series), Springer, New York, NY, USA, 2005.
12. Donelli, M., I. J. Craddock, D. Gibbins, and M. Sarafianou, "A three-dimensional time domain microwave imaging method for breast cancer detection based on an evolutionary algorithm," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 18, 179-195, 2011.
13. Mandal, D., A. Chatterjee, and A. K. Bhattacharjee, "Design of fully digital controlled shaped beam synthesis using differential Evolution Algorithm," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2013, 9, 2013.