A compact miniaturized frequency selective surface (FSS) withstable resonant frequency is proposed in this letter. The proposed FSS is composed of four spiral triangles connected in the middle of the unit cell, symmetrically. Simulated results show that the dimension of the element is only 0.0558λ0×0.0558λ0, and reduction in FSS size is up to 97.7% with respect to conventional cross-dipole FSS operating at the same frequency of 2.7 GHz. Also, the proposed FSS has great angular stability, and the resonant frequency deviation keeps below 0.4% for both TM and TE polarizations of 60° incident angle.
2. Sarabandi, K. and N. Behdad, "A frequency selective surface with miniaturized elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 5, 1239-1245, 2007.
3. Deng, F., X. Q. Yi, and W. J. Wu, "Design and performance of a double layer miniaturized-element frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 5, 721-724, 2013.
4. Lin, B. Q., S. H. Zhou, X. Y. Da, Y. W. Fang, Y. J. Li, and W. Li, "Compact miniaturized-element frequency selective surface," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 12, 883-884, 2015.
5. Yang, H.-Y., S.-X. Gong, P.-F. Zhang, F.-T. Zha, and J. Ling, "A novel miniaturized frequency selective surface with excellent center frequency stability," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, 2513-2516, 2009.
6. Yang, L.-H., Z.-F. Wang, Z.-Y. Zong, W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "A miniaturized frequency selective surface based on convoluted ring slot," Proc. 6th Asia-Pacific Conf. Environ. Electromagn., 63-66, Nov. 2012.
7. Chiu, C.-N. and K.-P. Chang, "A novel miniaturized-element frequency selective surface having a stable resonance," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1175-1177, 2009.
8. Yang, G., T. Zhang, W. Li, and Q. Wu, "A novel stable miniaturized frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1018-1021, 2010.
9. Yan, M., S. Qu, J. Wang, J. Zhang, A. Zhang, S. Xia, and W. Wang, "A novel miniaturized frequency selective surface with stable resonance," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 639-641, 2014.
10. Azemi, S. N., K. Ghorbani, and W. S. T. Rowe, "Angularly stable frequency selective surface with miniaturized unit cell," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 25, No. 7, 454-456, 2015.
11. Wu, R., H. Zhang, Z.-M. Yang, T. Zhong, and Y. Lin, "Compact stable frequency selective surface using novel Y-type element," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 57, 85-90, 2015.
12. Xu, R.-R., Z.-Y. Zong, and W. Wu, "Low frequency miniaturized dual band frequency with close band spacing," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 5, 1238-1240, 2009.
13. Liu, H. L., K. L. Ford, and R. J. Langley, "Design methodology for a miniaturized frequency selective surface using lumped reactive components," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 2732-2738, 2009.
14. Hu, X.-D., X.-L. Zhou, L.-S. Wu, L. Zhou, and W.-Y. Yin, "A miniaturized dual-band frequency selective surface (FSS) with closed loop and its complementary pattern," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1374-1377, 2009.
15. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Double-square frequency-selective surfaces and their equivalent circuit," Electron. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 17, 675-677, 1983.
16. Yuan, Z.-D., J. Gao, X.-Y. Cao, and H.-H. Yang, "A novel frequency selective surface with stable performance and its application in microstrip antenna," Acta Phys. Sin., Vol. 63, No. 1, 014102, 2014.