In this letter, a new model of antenna with Jerusalem crosses (JC) as fractal slots for circular polarization applications is designed. The proposed slot antenna has a fractal cross formation with four Jerusalem crosses (JC) to achieve wide bandwidth and a compact size as well as circular polarization. A T-shaped feed line is implemented in the proposed antenna for improving the bandwidth while the interaction of the feed line with cross-shaped slots makes circular polarization. The proposed antenna shows bidirectional pattern and bandwidth at 2.42-3.0 GHz with VSWR<2, which can be used in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth applications with a gain of 3.5 dBi. The proposed fractal antenna size is 40×40 mm, and it is designed and fabricated on an FR-4 low-cost substrate with thickness of 1.6 mm. It is simulated by HFSS full wave software. In addition, the experimental results are presented and compared with the simulation for VSWR, radiation pattern and axial ratio.
2. Ooi, P. C. and K. T. Selvan, "A dual-band circular slot antenna with an offset microstrip-fed line for PCS, UMTS, IMT-2000, ISM, Bluetooth, RFID and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 1-10, 2010.
3. Pouyanfar, N., "Broadband CPW-fed square slot antenna loaded with parasitic element for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 2, 338-340, 2014.
4. Chang, M. H., H. D. Chen, T. Y. Han, and J. S. Row, "Circularly polarized annular-ring slot antenna for WiMAX 2.3GHz and WLAN 2.4 GHz applications," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1051-1052, IEEE, 2014.
5. Ramirez, M. and J. Parron, "Circularly-polarized stacked annular-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 99-107, 2011.
6. Wu, T., H. Su, L. Gan, H. Chen, J. Huang, and H. Zhang, "A compact and broadband microstrip stacked patch antenna with circular polarization for 2.45-GHz mobile RFID reader," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 623-626, 2013.
7. Arezoomand, A. S., F. B. Zarrabi, S. Heydari, and N. P. Gandji, "Independent polarization and multi-band THz absorber base on Jerusalem cross," Optics Communications, Vol. 352, 121-126, 2015.
8. Li, D. and J.-F. Mao, "A Koch-like sided fractal bow-tie dipole antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, 2242-2251, 2012.
9. Mahatthanajatuphat, C., P. Akkaraekthalin, S. Saleekaw, and M. Krairiksh, "A bidirectional multiband antenna with modified fractal slot fed by CPW," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 95, 59-72, 2009.
10. Wang, G.-D., M.-H. Liu, X.-W. Hu, L.-H. Kong, L.-L. Cheng, and Z.-Q. Chen, "Multi-band microwave metamaterial absorber based on coplanar Jerusalem crosses," Chinese Phys. B, Vol. 23, 017802, 2014.
11. Zarrabi, F. B., Z. Mansouri, R. Ahmadian, M. Rahimi, and H. Kuhestani, "Microstrip slot antenna applications with SRR for WiMAX/WLAN with linear and circular polarization," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1332-1338, 2015.
12. Row, J.-S. and Y.-D. Lin, "Miniaturized designs of circularly polarized slot antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 7, 1522-1526, 2014.
13. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Dual-square-ring-shaped slot antenna for wideband circularly polarized radiation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 11, 2645-2649, 2014.
14. Wang, X.-Y. and G.-M. Yang, "Dual frequency and dual circular polarization slot antenna for BeiDou navigation satellite system applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 56, No. 10, 2222-2225, 2014.
15. Wei, C.-Y., J.-C. Liu, S.-S. Bor, T.-F. Hung, and C. C. Chen, "Compact single-feed circular slot antenna with asymmetrical C-shaped strips for WLAN/WiMAX triband and circular/elliptical polarizations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 2, 272-278, 2013.
16. Pouyanfar, N., "Broadband square slot circularly polarized antenna for WiMAX and WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 9, 2191-2195, 2013.
17. Nguyen, D. L., K. S. Paulson, and N. G. Riley, "Reduced-size circularly polarised square microstrip antenna for 2.45GHz RFID applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 94-99, 2012.