In this paper, a printed split ring resonator (SRR) loaded log-periodic Koch dipole antenna (SLPKDA) is proposed. Koch-shaped dipoles when being loaded with split ring resonator (SRR) yielded a compact antenna, still preserving the radiation properties of log-periodic dipole antenna (LPDA). Measurement results show that the proposed antenna has a wide bandwidth, good impedance match and gain of 4 dBi over the band of frequencies from 0.9 GHz to 2.5 GHz. Both vertical and horizontal dimension reductions are achieved by loading Koch dipoles with SRR.
2. Isbell, D., "Log periodic dipole arrays," IRE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 260-267, 1960.
3. Isbell, D., "Frequency independent unidirectional antenna,", U.S. Patent 3,011,168, Nov. 28, 1961.
4. Carrel, R., "The design of log-periodic dipole antennas," IRE International Convention Record, IEEE, Vol. 9, 61-75, 1966.
5. Rajendran, J. and G. A. S. Sundaram, "Design and evaluation of printed log periodic dipole antenna for an L band electrically steerable array system," 2014 First International Conference on Computational Systems and Communications (ICCSC), 311-316, 2014.
6. Gao, X., Z. Shen, and C. Hua, "Conformal VHF log-periodic balloon antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 6, 2756-2761, 2015.
7. Sammeta, R. and D. S. Filipovic, "Reduced size planar dual-polarized log-periodic antenna for bidirectional high power transmit and receive applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5453-5461, 2014.
8. Hsu, H.-T. and T.-J. Huang, "A koch-shaped log-periodic dipole array (LPDA) antenna for universal ultra-high-frequency (UHF) radio frequency identification (RFID) handheld reader," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 9, 4852-4856, 2013.
9. Anagnostou, D. E., et al., "A printed log-periodic Koch-dipole array (LPKDA)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 456-460, 2008.
10. Qiu, J., S. Lin, C. Yang, and Q. You, "A novel printed fractal log-periodic dipole antenna," 5th International Conference on Microwave Electronics: Measurement, Identification, Applications, 50-53, 2005.
11. Sarkar, D., K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Multi-band microstrip-fed slot antenna loaded with split-ring resonator," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 1498-1500, 2014.
12. Singh, G. K., R. K. Chaudhary, and K. V. Srivastava, "A compact zeroth order resonating antenna using complementary split ring resonator with mushroom type of structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 139-148, 2012.
13. Sarkar, D., K. V. Srivastava, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna ," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 396-399, 2014.
14. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Design of a printed log-periodic dipole array for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 15-26, 2013.
15. Abdo-Sanchez, E., et al., "A novel planar log-periodic array based on the wideband complementary strip-slot element," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 11, 5572-5580, 2014.
16. Anguera, J., et al., "The fractal Hilbert monopole: A two-dimensional wire," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 2, 102-104, 2003.
17. Gala, D., et al., "Miniature microstrip patch antenna loaded with a space filling transmission line based on the fractal Hilbert curve," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 38, No. 4, 311-312, 2003.
18. Gianvittorio, J. P. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Fractal antennas: A novel antenna miniaturization technique, and applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 44, No. 1, 20-36, 2002.
19. Anguera, J., et al., "Fractal shaped antennas: A review," Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, 2005.