An analytic model is proposed to estimate the electromagnetic field transmission line coupling for both radiated emission and immunity using TEM cell measurements. Further, a coupling impedance is introduced to determine the domination between electric and magnetic fields of the field-line coupling. Comparison of measurement and calculation results confirms the accuracy of the model. The model and coupling impedance can be helpful for the suppression of radiated emission and the enhancement of radiated immunity of transmission lines in electromagnetic compatibility design of electronic systems.
2. Deng, S., T. Hubing, and D. Beetner, "Characterizing the electric field coupling from IC heatsink structures to external cables using TEM cell measurements," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 49, No. 4, 785-791, 2007.
3. Deng, S., T. Hubing, and D. Beetner, "Using TEM cell measurements to estimate the maximum radiation from PCBs with cables due to magnetic field coupling," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 50, No. 2, 419-423, 2008.
4. Shi, C., et al., "Using termination effect to characterize electric and magnetic field coupling between TEM cell and microstrip line," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 57, No. 6, 1338-1344, 2015.
5. Vanhee, F., et al., "Scalable equivalent circuit modelling of the EM field coupling to microstrips in the TEM cell," IEEE International Zurich Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 1-6, 2009.
6. Mandic, T., et al., "Equivalent circuit model of the TEM cell electric and magnetic field coupling to microstrip lines," IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems, 247-250, 2009.
7. Mandic, T., et al., "Characterizing the TEM cell electric and magnetic field coupling to PCB transmission lines ," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 54, No. 5, 976-985, 2012.
8. Op t Land, S., et al., "Simple, Taylor-based worst-case model for field-to-line coupling," Progress In Electromagnetics Research,, Vol. 140, 297-311, 2013.
9. Op t Land, S., et al., "Using a modified Taylor cell to validate simulation and measurement of field-to-shorted-trace coupling," IEEE Trans. on Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 56, No. 4, 864-870, 2014.
10. Mandic, T., B. Pejcinovic, and A. Baric, "Comparison of simulation and measurement of time-domain field-to-line coupling in TEM cell," Proc. Int. Symp. on Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC Europe), 681-685, 2014.
11. Shi, C., et al., "Estimating termination effect on electric and magnetic field-to-line coupling for radiated immunity tests using a TEM cell," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 39-44, 2016.
12., "Integrated circuits --- Measurement of electromagnetic emissions, 150 kHz to 1 GHz - Part 2: Measurement of radiated emissions, TEM-cell method and wideband TEM cell method (150 kHz to 8GHz)," IEC 61967-2, 2001.
13., "Integrated circuits --- Measurement of electromagnetic innunity, 150 kHz to 1 GHz - Part 2: Measurement of radiated immunity-TEM cell method," IEC 62132-2, 2003.
14. Ludwig, R. and G. Bogdanov, RF Circuit Design Theory and Applications, 2nd Ed., Publishing House of Electronics Industry, Beijing, 2010.