The paper presents the application of a hybrid neuro-fuzzy model for the analysis and synthesis of a square multiband Sierpinski carpet fractal antenna. For the analysis model, the antenna geometrical parameters were taken as the input, and the resonant frequencies were obtained as the output while for the synthesis model, the resonant frequencies were taken as the input, and geometrical parameters were obtained as the output. Also, a model was trained to obtain the return loss characteristics for the given set of geometrical parameters. The developed model was validated by comparing the resonant frequencies and radiation patterns of the simulated and fabricated antennas.
2. Skrivervik, A. K., J.-F. Zurcher, O. Staub, and J. R. Mosig, "PCS antenna design: The challenge of miniaturization," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 4, 12-26, Aug. 200.
3. Maci, S. and G. Biffi Gentili, "Dual-frequency patch antennas," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 39, No. 6, 13-20, Dec. 1997.
4. Mandelbrot, B. B., The Fractal Geometry of Nature, W. H. Freeman, New York, 1983.
5. Jaggard, D. L., "On fractal electrodynamics," Recent Advances in Electromagnetic Theory, H. N. Kritikos and D. L. Jaggard (eds.), 183-224, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1990.
6. Werner, D. H., "An overview of fractal electrodynamics research," Proceedings of the 11th Annual Review of Progress in Applied Computational Electromagnetics (ACES), Vol. 2, 964-969, 1995.
7. Jaggard, D. L., "Fractal electrodynamics: Wave interactions with discretely self-similar structures," Electromagnetic Symmetry, C. Baum and H. Kritikos (eds.), 231-281, Taylor and Francis Publishers, Washington DC, 1995.
8. Jaggard, D. L., "Fractal electrodynamics: From super antennas to superlattices," Fractals in Engineering, J. L. Vehel, E. Lutton, and C. Tricot (eds.), 204-221, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1997.
9. Kim, Y. and D. L. Jaggard, "The fractal random array," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 74, No. 9, 1278-1280, 1986.
10. Anuradha, A. Patnaik and S. N. Sinha, "Design of custom-made fractal multi-band antennas using ANN-PSO," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 4, 94-101, Aug. 2011.
11. Werner, D. H., P. L. Werner, and K. H. Church, "Genetically engineered multiband fractal antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 37, No. 19, 1150-1151, Sep. 2001.
12. Pantoja, M. F., F. G. Ruiz, A. R. Bretones, R. G. Martin, J. M. Gonzalez-Arbesu, J. Romeu, and J. M. Rius, "GA design of wire pre-fractal antennas and comparison with other Euclidean geometries," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 2, No. 1, 238-241, 2003.
13. Azaro, R., E. Zeni, M. Zambelli, and A. Massa, "Synthesis and optimization of pre-fractal multiband antennas," European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 1-5, 2006.
14. Gregory, M. D., J. S. Petko, T. G. Spence, and D. H. Werner, "Nature-inspired design techniques for ultra-wideband aperiodic antenna arrays," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 3, 28-45, 2010.
15. Oliveira, E. E. C., M. S. Vieira, W. C. Araujo, P. Carlos, and A. G. D’Assuncao, "Optimization of the input impedance of Koch prefractals antennas with genetic algorithms," International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference, 1-4, 2015.
16. Guney, K. and N. Sarikaya, "A hybrid method based on combining artificial neural network and fuzzy inference system for simultaneous computation of resonant frequencies of rectangular, circular and triangular microstrip antennas," IEEE Trans. Antenna Propag., Vol. 55, 659-668, 2007.
17. Kapetanakis, T. N., I. O. Vardiambasis, G. S. Liodakis, and A. Maras, "Solving the inverse loop antenna radiation problem using a hybrid neuro-fuzzy system," Telecommunications Forum, 1189-1192, 2012.
18. Gehani, A. and D. A. Pujara, "Predicting the return loss performance of a hexa-band PIFA using ANFIS," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 2072-2075, 2015.
19. Pujara, D. A., A. Modi, N. Pisharody, and J. Mehta, "Predicting the performance of pyramidal and corrugated horn antennas using ANFIS," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 293-296, 2014.
20. Guney, K. and N. Sarikaya, "Resonant frequency calculation for circular microstrip antennas with a dielectric cover using adaptive network-based fuzzy inference system optimized by various algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 72, 279-306, 2007.
21. Turkmen, M., S. Kaya, C. Yildiz, and K. Guney, "Adaptive neuro-fuzzy models for conventional coplanar waveguides," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 93-107, 2008.
22. Sarikaya, N., K. Guney, and C. Yildiz, "Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system for the computation of the characteristic impedance and the effective permittivity of the micro-coplanar strip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 6, 225-237, 2008.
23. Jang, J.-S. R., "ANFIS: Adaptive-network-based fuzzy inference system," IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 23, 665-685, 1993.
24. ANSYS, High Frequency Structure Simulator, 2015.
25. Kisi, O., J. Shiri, and B. Nikoofar, "Forecasting daily lake levels using artificial intelligence approaches," Computers & Geosciences, Vol. 41, 169-180, 2011.