This paper describes a frequency-tunable phase inverter based on a slot-line resonator for the first time. The control circuit is designed and located on the defected ground. None of dc block capacitors are needed in the microstrip line. A wide tuning frequency range is accomplished by the use of the slot-line resonator with two varactors and a single control voltage. A 180-degree phase inverter is achieved by means of reversing electric field with two metallic via holes connecting the microstrip and ground plane. The graphic method is used to estimate the operation frequency. For verification, a frequency-tunable phase inverter is fabricated and measured. The measured results show a wide tuning frequency range from 1.1 GHz to 1.75 GHz with better than 20-dB return loss. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Basaran, S. C. and K. Sertel, "Dual-band frequency reconfigurable monopole antenna for WLAN applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 1, 55-58, Jan. 2015.
3. Lourandakis, E., M. Schmid, S. Seitz, and R. Weigel, "Reduced size frequency agile microwave circuits using ferroelectric thin-film varactors," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3093-3099, Dec. 2008.
4. Draskovic, D. and D. Budimir, "Varactor tuned dual-band wilkinson power divider," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, 2009.
5. Shen, X. C., Y. L. Wu, S. Y. Zhou, and Y. N. Liu, "A novel coupled-line tunable wilkinson power divider with perfect port match and isolation in wide frequency tuning range," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, 917-925, Jun. 2016.
6. Mo, T. T., Q. Xue, and C. H. Chan, "A broadband compact microstrip rat-race hybrid using a novel CPW inverter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 55, No. 1, 161-167, Jan. 2007.
7. Zhang, X. C., T. Y. Wang, and Y. B. Xiang, "Wideband three-way out-of-phase microstrip power divider," Electronics Letters, Vol. 51, No. 5, 404-406, 2015.
8. Wong, K. W., L. Chiu, and Q. Xue, "Wideband parallel-strip bandpass filter using phase inverter," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 18, No. 8, 503-505, Aug. 2008.
9. Chiu, L. and Q. Xue, "Wideband parallel-strip 90degree hybrid coupler with swap," Electronics Letters, Vol. 44, No. 11, 687-688, 2008.
10. Yang, N., C. Caloz, and K. Wu, "Fixed-beam frequency-tunable phase-reversal coplanar stripline antenna array," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 3, 671-681, Mar. 2009.
11. Kim, J. H., D.W. Woo, G. Y. Jo, and W. S. Park, "Microstrip phase inverter using slotted ground," Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURS), 1-4, 2010.
12. Zhang, X. C., C. H. Liang, and J. W. Xie, "Microstrip phase inverter using Interdigital Strip Lines And Defected Ground," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 29, 167-173, 2012.
13. Lin, F., Q. X. Chu, Z. Gong, and Z. Lin, "Compact broadband Gysel power divider with arbitrary power-dividing ratio using microstrip slot line phase inverter," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 5, 1226-1234, May 2012.