This paper proposes a compact E-Plane five-port waveguide power combining and splitting structure in the V-band. The symmetrical five-port structure guarantees excellent amplitude and phase consistency between the input/output ports. Two isolation ports guarantee high isolation between the input/output ports. Meanwhile, the E-plane waveguide structure is more compact than H-plane structure. A two-way power combing structure working from 59 GHz to 64 GHz is designed, fabricated and measured for validating our structure. The measured results show that the phase and amplitude differences between the input ports are smaller than ±1.0 degree and ±0.1 dB, isolation between the input ports higher than 18 dB, the insertion loss and return loss lower than 0.2 dB and better than 17 dB, respectively.
2. Hwang, K. C., "Design and optimization of a broadband waveguide magic-T using a stepped conducting cone," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 19, 539-541, 2009.
3. Guo, Y., Y. Xu, L. Xia, and R. Xu, "Efficiency optimization of a Ka-band branch waveguide power divider," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 22, No. 1, 17-26, 2008.
4. Zheng, P., P. Zhou, and W.-H. Yu, "W-band power divider based on H-plane slot waveguide bridge," 2012 International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology, Vol. 2, 1-4, 2012.
5. Hendrick, L. W. and R. Levy, "Design of waveguide narrow-wall short-slot couplers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 48, 1771-1774, 2000.
6. Ding, J. Y., Q. Y. Wang, and Y. B. Zhang, "A novel five-port waveguide power divider," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 4, 224-226, 2013.
7. Ding, J. Y., Q. Y. Wang, and Y. B. Zhang, "High-efficiency millimeter-wave spatial power combining structure," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, 397-399, 2015.
8. Martirano, G. and F. Vitulli, "A new multiple-tuned six-port riblet-type directional coupler in rectangular waveguide," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 51, 1441-1448, 2003.
9. Wu, Y., X. Xie, and R. Xu, "A new millimeter-wave waveguide-based four-way power dividing/combining network," International Conference on Microwave and Millimeter Wave Technology (ICMMT), Vol. 3, 1-4, 2012.
10. Yong, Y. S. and A. L. Y. Low, "Design and analysis of equal power divider using 4-branch waveguide," IEEE Journal of Quantum Electronics, Vol. 41, No. 9, 1181-1187, 2005.
11. Hwang, K. C., "Design and optimization of a broadband waveguide magic-T using a stepped conducting cone," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compo. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 9, 539-541, 2009.
12. Fan, L., C. Ho, S. Kanamaluru, and K. Chang, "Wide-band reduced-size unplanar magic-T, hybrid-ring, and de Ronde’s CPW-slot couplers," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 43, 2749-2758, 1995.
13. Tanaka, T., "Ridge-shaped narrow wall directional coupler using TE10, TE20 and TE30 modes," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 28, 239-245, 1980.
14. Hildebrand, L. T., "Results for a simple compact narrow-wall directional coupler," IEEE Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 10, 231-232, 2000.
15. Zhang, Y. B., Q. Y. Wang, and J. Y. Ding, "Short terminal load with broad bandwidth," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 1005-1007, 2013.