A slotted meander line printed monopole antenna for low frequency applications at 878 MHz is presented. The operating frequency of the conventional printed monopole antenna is greatly reduced by the presence of the slots and meander line which lead to the reduction of the antenna size. The size reduction up to 70% compared to the conventional reference antenna is achieved in this study. The antenna has a simple structure and small antenna size of 46.8 mm × 74 mm or 0.137λ0 x 0.217λ0. The antenna has been fabricated on a low-cost FR4 substrate and measured to validate the simulation performances. Measured results display that the proposed antenna produces omnidirectional radiation pattern of impedance bandwidth of 48.83 MHz and the maximum gain of -1.18 dBi.
2. Loutridis, A., M. J. Ammann, and M. John, "Folded meander line antenna for wireless M-bus in the VHF and UHF bands," Electron. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 15, 1138-1140, Jul. 2015.
3. Chandran, A. R., G. A. Conway, and W. G. Scanlon, "Compact slot-loaded patch antenna for 868 MHz wireless body area networks," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 433-436, Mar. 2008.
4. Babar, A., L. Ukkonen, M. Soini, and L. Sydanheimo, "Miniaturized 433MHz antenna for card size wireless systems," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society, AP-S International Symposium (Digest), 5-8, 2009.
5. Wang, X.-Y., Y. Fu, H. Wang, Y. Gui, and G.-M. Yang, "A compact 433 MHz antenna with enhanced performance by using multi-resonant meander line structure," Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 1-3, 2015.
6. Gaetano, D., L. Loizou, J. Buckley, C. O’Mathuna, K. G. McCarthy, and B. O’Flynn, "Compact 433MHz antenna for wireless smart system applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 8, 572-574, 2014.
7. Mitra, D., B. Ghosh, A. Sarkhel, and S. R. B. Chaudhuri, "A miniaturized ring slot antenna design with enhanced radiation characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 300-305, 2016.
8. Liu, W., Z. Zhang, and Z. Feng, "ISM 433-MHz miniaturized antenna using the shielding box of mobile terminals," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 330-333, 2012.