We introduce a 212 GHz LO source which could be used to drive sub-harmonic mixer in the radiometer front-end. It mainly includes a phase-locked dielectric resonator, a 71 GHz power source and a 212 GHz tripler. Actually, design of 212 GHz tripler is the key technology in the LO chain because the research on W band source is relatively mature. Based on our former research work, there is a great improvement in the design of 212 GHz tripler. At room temperature, the measured efficiency is more than 9% in 208~218 GHz, and the maximum efficiency is about 14.5% at 215.5 GHz when being driven with 21.8 dBm of input power. Besides demand on the main technical specifications, the stability of each module is also extremely important since the front-end is designed to keep working for three months.
2. Thomas, B., et al., "Millimeter & sub-millimeter wave radiometer instruments for the next generation of polar orbiting meteorological satellites - MetOp-SG," 39th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves, 2014.
3. Thomas, B., et al., "Submillimetre-wave receiver developments for ICI onboard MetOp-SG and ICI cloud remote sensing instruments," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2012.
4. Gravel, J.-F. and J. S. Wight, "On the conception and analysis of a 12-GHz push-push phase-locked DRO," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 1, 153-159, 2006.
5. Yang, F., X.-H. Tang, and T. Wu, "The scheme and key components design of W-band coherent Doppler velocity radar front-end," 7th International Conference on ASIC, 2007.
6. Ingram, D. L., et al., "Compact W-band solid-state MMIC high power sources," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 2000.
7. Chen, Z., et al., "75-110 GHz integrated active sextupler module," IEEE International Wireless Symposium, 2015.
8. Meng, J., D. H. Zhang, C. F. Yao, and X. Zhao, "Design of a 225 GHz high output power tripler based on unbalanced structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 101-108, 2015.
9. Zhang, Y., et al., "A 220 GHz frequency tripler based on 3D electromagnetic model of the Schottky diode and the field-circuit co-simulation method," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 7, 1647-1651, 2016.
10. Zhang, Y., et al., "Design of a 220 GHz frequency tripler based om EM model of Schottky diodes," J. Infrated Millim. Waves, Vol. 23, No. 4, 405-411, 2014.
11. Maestrini, A., et al., "A 260-340 GHz dual chip frequency tripler for THz frequency multiplier chains," Joint 31st International Conference on Infrared Millimeter Waves and 14th International Conference on Terahertz Electronics, 2006.
12. Porterfield, D. W., "High-efficiency Terahertz frequency tripler," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 337-340, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2007.