A low-cost wideband textile antenna based on the substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) technology is proposed, and a pure copper taffeta fabric etched on a woolen felt substrate is used to realize the presented antenna. The impedance matching frequency band for the designed structure is from 2.27 GHz to 3.61 GHz, which is significantly improved compared with previous studies. The operational principle of the proposedquasi-Yagi textile antenna is also described in this paper. The antenna is fabricated and measured, and a good agreement is achieved between the simulation and experimental results. The designed antenna has themaximum gain and efficiency of 4.2dB and 84%, respectively. According to its compactness, low-cost and low-weight specifications, the proposed antenna is a good candidate for being utilizedin wearable communication devices.
2. Hong, Y., J. Tak, and J. Choi, "An all textile SIW cavity-backed circular ring slot antenna for WBAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1995-1999, Apr. 2016.
3. Agneessens, S. and H. Rogier, "Compact half diamond dual-band textile HMSIW on-body antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 5, 2374-2381, May 2014.
4. Castel, T., S. Lemey, P. Van Torre, C. Oestges, and H. Rogier, "Four-element ultra-wideband textile cross array for dual spatial and dual polarization diversity," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 481-484, June 2016.
5. Lemey, S. and H. Rogier, "SIW textile antennas as a novel technology for UWB RFID tags," RFID Technology and Applications Conference (RFID-TA), 256-260, Sept. 2014.
6. Caytan, O., S. Lemey, S. Agneessens, D. V. Ginste, P. Demeester, C. Loss, R. Salvado, and H. Rogier, "Half-mode substrate-integrated-waveguide cavity-backed slot antenna on cork substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 162-165, May 2016.
7. Lemey, S., F. Declercq, and H. Rogier, "Dual-band substrate integrated waveguide textile antenna with integrated solar harvester," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 269-272, Jan. 2014.
8. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 166-175, John Wiley & Sons, May 2012.
9. Declercq, F., H. Rogier, and C. Hertleer, "Permittivity and loss tangent characterization for garment antennas based on a new matrix-pencil two-line method," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 8, 2548-2554, Aug. 2008.
10., , Computer Simulation Technology (CST), ver. 2016, [Online], Available: http://www.cst.com.
11. Yan, S., P. J. Soh, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Dual-band textile MIMO antenna based on substrate-integrated waveguide (SIW) technology," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 11, 4640-4647, Nov. 2015.