A printed loop antenna with a circularly polarized beam parallel with its plane is proposed. The proposed quadrangle loop antenna is fed with microstrip line at one of its corners. The microstrip line part and loop part provide vertical polarization and horizontal polarization, respectively. The proposed antenna is simple in structure and can be easily integrated with other microwave components on the same substrate. Simulated results show that the proposed antenna has a wide impedance bandwidth (|S11| < −10 dB) and wide 3-dB AR bandwidth ranging from 8.0 to 10.5 GHz (27%). A prototype of the proposed antenna is fabricated and tested. The measured and simulated results have good agreement.
2. Palantei, E., A. Achmad, and J. Rahmah, "Electrical properties and RF energy response of metal loop antennas for wireless sensing and detecting of conductive and non conductive materials," 2011 IEEE International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation (APSURSI), 3148-3151, Jul. 3–8, 2011.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 203-248, Wiley, New York, 1997.
4. Ooi, P. C. and K. T. Selvan, "The effect of ground plane on the performance of a square loop CPW-fed printed antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 103-111, 2010.
5. Su, S.-W., "Printed loop antenna integrated into a compact, outdoor wlan access point with dualpolarized radiation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 25-35, 2011.
6. Okubo, S. and S. Tokumaru, "Reactively loaded loop antennas with reflectors for circular polarization," Electronics and Communications in Japan, Vol. 65-B, No. 8, 1982.
7. Li, R. L., N. A. Bushyager, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Determination of reactance loading for circularly polarized circular loop antennas with a uniform traveling-wave current distribution," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3920-3929, Dec. 2005.
8. Nakano, H., N. Tsuchiya, T. Suzuki, and J. Yamauchi, "Loop and spiral line antennas at microstrip substrate surface," Proc. 6th Int. Conf. Antenna and Propagation (ICAP), 196-200, 1989.
9. Morishita, H. and K. Hirasaw, "Wideband circularly-polarized loop antenna," Antenna and Propagation Society International Symposium, 1994, AP-S. Digest, 1286-1289, Jun. 20–24, 1994.
10. Li, R.-L., V. F. Fusco, and H. Nakano, "Circularly polarized open-loop antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 51, No. 9, 2475-2477, Sep. 2003.
11. Li, R. L., J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Wideband probe-fed circularly polarised circular loop antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 18, Sep. 2005.
12. Li, R. L., G. De Jean, J. Laskar, and M. M. Tentzeris, "Investigation of circularly polarized loop antennas with a parasitic element for bandwidth enhancement," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 12, 3930-3939, Dec. 2005.
13. Simpson, J. P., R. R. Goulette, and G. I. Costache, "Radiation from microstrip transmission lines," IEEE 1998 International Symposium on Electromagnetic Compatibility, 1998, Symposium Record, 340-343, Aug. 2–4, 1988.
14. Li, L.-W., C.-P. Lim, and M.-S. Leong, "Method-of-moments analysis of electrically large circularloop antennas: Nonuniform currents," IEE Proc. — Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 146, No. 6, 416-420, Dec. 1999.