In this paper, a broadband circularly polarized (CP) antenna based on slot-loaded dipole with L-shaped arms and parasitic patches is proposed and investigated. Circular polarization is initially obtained at the lower frequency by bending the dipole arms into L-shape. To extend the axial ratio (AR) bandwidth, two pairs of parasitic patches are introduced along the orthogonal sections of the L-shaped arms, so that the modified dipole can yield two additional minimum AR points at the center and higher frequency respectively. Meanwhile, to further extend impedance bandwidth and improve CP performance, circular slots are symmetrically embedded into the tapered-end of each arm design. The measured results of the antenna exhibit a 3-dB AR bandwidth of 61.3% within 10-dB return loss bandwidth of 64.0%. Besides, desirable gains across the wide operation band are also demonstrated.
2. Ding, K., T. Yu, and Q. Zhang, "A compact stacked circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna for GPS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 40, 171-179, 2013.
3. Kumar, S., B. K. Kanaujia, A. Sharma, M. K. Khandelwal, and A. K. Gautam, "Single-feed cross-slot loaded compact circularly polarized microstrip antenna for indoor WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 1313-1317, 2014.
4. Liu, J. C., B. H. Zeng, L. Badjie, S. Drammeh, S. S. Bor, T. F. Hung, and D. C. Chang, "Single-feed circularly polarized aperture-coupled stack antenna with dual-mode square loop radiator," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propog. Lett., Vol. 9, 887-890, 2010.
5. Yang, Z., X. H. Wang, L. Kang, H. Wang, J. Bao, and X.-W. Shi, "A broadband circularly polarized antenna based on cross-dipoles," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 62, 91-96, 2016.
6. Chang, T. N. and J. M. Lin, "Circularly polarized antenna having two linked slot-rings," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, 3057-3060, 2011.
7. Yang, S. L. S., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Wideband circularly polarized antenna with L-shaped slot," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 1780-1783, 2008.
8. Guo, Y. X., L. Bian, and X. Q. Shi, "Broadband circularly polarized annular-ring microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 2474-2477, 2009.
9. Hu, Y. J., Z. M. Qiu, B. Yang, S. J. Shi, and J. J. Yang, "Design of novel wideband circularly polarized antenna based on Vivaldi antenna structure," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propog. Lett., Vol. 14, 1662-1665, 2015.
10. Hu, W., Z. Y. Tang, P. Fei, and Y. Z. Yin, "Broadband circularly polarized Z-shaped dipole antenna with parasitic strips," Int. J. RF Microwave Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 27, 2017.