This paper presents a testing scheme for the steel corrosion in reinforced concrete based on near-field effect of meter wave. The physical mechanism of the near-field method was introduced, and the structure of the measurement device was presented in detail. The electromagnetic field near the steel bar buried in the concrete structure was simulated by the finite difference time domain method. The simulated data show that the mean radiation power decreases monotonously with the increase of the corroded depth of the steel bar, and the corroded area is promising to be imaged directly due to the localization of near field. The results indicate that the near-field technique can act as a new nondestructive testing technique to detect and even image the corrosion area buried in concrete in engineering structure.
2. Rehman, S. K. U., Z. Ibrahim, S. A. Memon, and M. Jameel, "Nondestructive test methods for concrete bridges: A review," Constr. Build. Mater., Vol. 107, 58-86, 2016.
3. Česen, A., T. Kosec, and A. Legat, "Characterization of steel corrosion in mortar by various electrochemical and physical techniques," Corros. Sci., Vol. 75, 47-57, 2013.
4. Reou, J. S. and K. Y. Ann, "Electrochemical assessment on the corrosion risk of steel embedment in OPC concrete depending on the corrosion detection techniques," Mater. Chem. Phys., Vol. 113, No. 1, 78-84, 2009.
5. Yeih, W. and R. Huang, "Detection of the corrosion damage in reinforced concrete members by ultrasonic testing," Cem. Concr. Res., Vol. 28, No. 7, 1071-1083, 1998.
6. Patil, S., B. Karkare, and S. Goyal, "Acoustic emission vis-a-vis electrochemical techniques for corrosion monitoring of reinforced concrete element," Constr. Build. Mater., Vol. 68, 326-332, 2014.
7. Zaki, A., H. K. Chai, D. G. Aggelis, and N. Alver, "Non-destructive evaluation for corrosion monitoring in concrete: A review and capability of acoustic emission technique," Sensors, Vol. 15, No. 8, 19069-19101, 2015.
8. Ohtsu, M., K. Mori, and Y. Kawasaki, "Corrosion process and mechanisms of corrosion-induced cracks in reinforced concrete identified by AE analysis," Strain, Vol. 47, 179-186, 2011.
9. Xu, C., N. Zhou, J. Xie, X. Gong, G. Chen, and G. Song, "Investigation on eddy current pulsed thermography to detect hidden cracks on corroded metal surface," NDT E Int., Vol. 84, 27-35, 2016.
10. Cacciola, M., S. Calcagno, G. Megali, F. C. Morabito, D. Pellicano, and M. Versaci, "FEA design and misfit minimization for in-depth flaw characterization in metallic plates with eddy current nondestructive testing," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 45, No. 3, 1506-1509, 2009.
11. Buonsanti, M., M. Cacciola, G. Megali, F. C. Morabito, D. Pellicanò, and M. Versaci, "A rotating magnetic field for detection of cracks in metal welded joints and quality control," Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Computational Structures Technology, Paper 68, Stirlingshire, UK, 2008.
12. Kylili, A., P. A. Fokaides, P. Christou, and S. A. Kalogirou, "Infrared thermography (IRT) applications for building diagnostics: A review," Appl. Energy, Vol. 134, 531-549, 2014.
13. Bagavathiappan, S., B. B. Lahiri, T. Saravanan, J. Philip, and T. Jayakumar, "Infrared thermography for condition monitoring - A review," Infrared Phys. Technol., Vol. 60, 35-55, 2013.
14. Kobayashi, K. and N. Banthia, "Corrosion detection in reinforced concrete using induction heating and infrared thermography," J. Civ. Struct. Health Monit., Vol. 1, No. 1-2, 25-35, 2011.
15. Hong, S., H. Wiggenhauser, R. Helmerich, B. Dong, P. Dong, and F. Xing, "Long-term monitoring of reinforcement corrosion in concrete using ground penetrating radar," Corros. Sci., Vol. 114, 123-132, 2017.
16. Zhang, H., L. Liao, R. Zhao, J. Zhou, M. Yang, and R. Xia, "The non-destructive test of steel corrosion in reinforced concrete bridges using a micro-magnetic sensor," Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1439, 2016.
17. Fernandes, B., D. Nims, and V. Devabhaktuni, "Comprehensive MMF-MFL inspection for corrosion detection and estimation in embedded prestressing strands," J. Civ. Struct. Health Monit., Vol. 4, No. 1, 43-55, 2014.
18. Xu, Y., K. Li, L. Liu, L. Yang, X. Wang, and Y. Huang, "Experimental study on rebar corrosion using the galvanic sensor combined with the electronic resistance technique," Sensors, Vol. 16, No. 9, 1451, 2016.
19. Tan, C. H., Y. G. Shee, B. K. Yap, and F. R. M. Adikan, "Fiber Bragg grating based sensing system: Early corrosion detection for structural health monitoring," Sens. Actuators Phys., Vol. 246, 123-128, 2016.
20. Mao, J., J. Chen, L. Cui, W. Jin, C. Xu, and Y. He, "Monitoring the corrosion process of reinforced concrete using BOTDA and FBG sensors," Sensors, Vol. 15, No. 4, 8866-8883, 2015.
21. Takahashi, Y., "In-situ X-ray diffraction of corrosion products formed on iron surfaces," Mater. Trans., Vol. 46, No. 3, 637-642, 2005.
22. Wu, Z., "Imaging of soft material with carbon nanotube tip using near-field scanning microwave microscopy," Ultramicroscopy, Vol. 148, 75-80, 2015.
23. Kawata, S., Y. Inouye, and P. Verma, "Plasmonics for near-field nano-imaging and superlensing," Nat. Photonics, Vol. 3, No. 7, 388-394, 2009.
24. Oka, S., H. Togo, N. Kukutsu, and T. Nagatsuma, "Latest trends in millimeter-wave imaging technology," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 1, 197-204, 2008.
25. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley & Sons, 2015.
26. Wang, P., Y. Pei, and L. Zhou, "Near-field microwave identification and quantitative evaluation of liquid ingress in honeycomb sandwich structures," NDT E Int., Vol. 83, 32-37, 2016.
27. Haddadi, K., S. Gu, and T. Lasri, "Sensing of liquid droplets with a scanning near-field microwave microscope," Sens. Actuators Phys., Vol. 230, 170-174, 2015.
28. Hussein, K. F. A., "Efficient near-field computation for radiation and scattering from conducting surfaces of arbitrary shape," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 267-285, 2007.
29. Haddadi, K., J. Marzouk, S. Gu, S. Arscott, G. Dambrine, and T. Lasri, "Interferometric near-field microwave microscopy platform for electromagnetic micro-analysis," Procedia Eng., Vol. 87, 388-391, 2014.
30. Esslinger, M. and R. Vogelgesang, "Reciprocity theory of apertureless scanning near-field optical microscopy with point-dipole probes," Acs Nano, Vol. 6, No. 9, 8173-8182, 2012.
31. Sundaramurthy, A., P. J. Schuck, N. R. Conley, D. P. Fromm, G. S. Kino, and W. E. Moerner, "Toward nanometer-scale optical photolithography: Utilizing the near-field of bowtie optical nanoantennas," Nano Lett., Vol. 6, No. 3, 355-360, 2006.
32. Gao, C., X. Xiang, and Z. Wu, "Novel scanning tip microwave near-field microscopy," Physics, Vol. 68, No. 68, 3506-3508, 1999.
33. Castro, A. F., M. Valcuende, and B. Vidal, "Using microwave near-field reflection measurements as a non-destructive test to determine water penetration depth of concrete," NDT E Int., Vol. 75, 26-32, 2015.