A low profile dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna with an overall height of 80 mm is presented in this paper for broadband indoor distributed antenna system (IDAS). The proposed antenna consists of an improved discone antenna for vertical polarization (VP) and a printed dipole array with five pairs of dipoles for horizontal polarization (HP). The VP element is a combination of three radiation patches, a cone-shaped feeding structure, a circular shorted loading patch and a coupling ring. By loading the coupling patch and coupling ring over the top and at the bottom of the radiation patches, the bandwidth for VP is significantly enlarged while the antenna height is reduced. Simulated and measured results indicate that the operating bands of 0.86-5.62 GHz for VP and 1.62-2.71 for HP are realized. Omnidirectional radiation patterns in horizontal plane for HP and VP, good port isolation of greater than 26 dB, low cross polarization level, and stable gain (2.6-5.6 dBi for VP and 2.8-4.2 dBi for HP) are achieved during the operating bands, which demonstrate the proposed antenna can be widely used for broadband IDAS.
2. Wu, Q., X. J. Ding, and A. X. Chen, "A broadband dipole antenna for multiservice indoor distributed antenna system (MS-IDAS)," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 839-842, 2015.
3. Zhang, Z. Y., G. Fu, W. J. Wu, J. Lei, and S. X. Gong, "A wideband dual-sleeve monopole antenna for indoor base station application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 45-48, 2011.
4. Zhou, L., Y. C. Jiao, Y. H. Qi, Z. B. Weng, and L. Lu, "Wideband ceiling-mount omnidirectional antenna for indoor distributed antenna systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 836-839, 2014.
5. Li, Y., Z. J. Zhang, J. F. Zheng, and Z. H. Feng, "Compact azimuthal omnidirectional dualpolarized antenna using highly isolated collocated slots," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 40, No. 9, 4037-4045, Sep. 2012.
6. Oh, T. K., Y. G. Lim, C. B. Chae, and Y. Lee, "Dual-polarization slot antenna with high crosspolarization discrimination for indoor small-cell MIMO systems," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 374-377, 2015.
7. Pan, Y., Y. H. Cui, and R. L. Li, "A dual-polarized triple-band MIMO antenna forWLAN/WiMAX applications," Antennas and Propagation & USNC/URSI National Radio Science Meeting, 934-935, Jul. 2015.
8. Dai, X. W., Z. Y. Wang, C. H. Liang, X. Chen, and L. T. Wang, "Multiband and dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1492-1495, 2013.
9. Jolani, F., Y. Q. Yu, and Z. Z. Chen, "A novel broadband omnidirectional dual polarized MIMO antenna for 4G LTE applications," Wireless Symposium (IWS), 1-4, 2014.
10. Huang, H., Y. Liu, and S. X. Gong, "Broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for 2G/3G/LTE/WIFI applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 576-579, 2016.
11. Quan, X. L. and R. L. Li, "A broadband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna for base stations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 943-947, Feb. 2013.
12. Zhou, L., Y.-C. Jiao, Z.-B. Weng, Y. Qi, and T. Ni, "Wideband dual-polarized omnidirectional antenna with high isolation for indoor DAS applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 61, 105-113, 2016.