In this paper, we propose a novel interconnection technique for a flip-chip quad flat no-lead (FC QFN) package which can decrease the amount of the transmission line (TL) phase shift. The RF die inputs and outputs (I/O) are connected to the package lead fingers by a small size, 1000 μm length, microstrip line having a gap capacitor consisting of staked plates (fingers) where the space in between is filled by a ceramic material of 10.2 dielectric constant value. This technique can reduce the effect of transmission line inductance and makes the novel package interconnection behaving as a composite left right handed (CLRH) TL; hence, one can set the TL phase shift to zero degree at the desired operating frequency band (i.e. S-band) by just tuning geometrical and/or physical interconnection structure parameters.
2. Lai, A., T. Itoh, and C. Caloz, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line metamaterials," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 5, No. 3, 34-50, 2004.
3. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Application of the transmission line theory of left-handed (LH) materials to the realization of a microstrip ``LH line"," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 412-415, IEEE, 2002.
4. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Characteristics of the composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 2, 68-70, 2004.
5. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Characteristics of the composite right/left-handed transmission lines," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 14, No. 2, 68-70, 2004.
6. Iyer, A. K. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "Leaky-wave radiation from planar negative-refractive-index transmission-line metamaterials," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 1411-1414, IEEE, 2004.
7. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of meta-materials," 2003 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, Vol. 1, 195-198, 2003.
8. Velez, P., J. Bonache, and F. Martin, "Dual and broadband power dividers at microwave frequencies based on composite right/left handed (CRLH) lattice networks," Photonics and Nanostructures --- Fundamentals and Applications, Science Direct, Vol. 12, No. 4, 269-278, August 2014.
9. Chen, H.-Y. and C.-P. Su, "Calculations of return loss of bonding wires fabricated on a test board by FDTD method," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters (MOTL), Vol. 49, No. 7, 1603-1606, July 2007, DOI 10.1002/mop.
10. Kim, S.-H., J.-H. Yoon, Y. Kim, and Y.-C. Yoon, "A modied Wilkinson divider using zero-degree phase shifting composite right/left-handed transmission line," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1556-1559, 2010.