In this paper, a compact reconfigurable monopole antenna is proposed working at three different frequencies depending upon the condition of the optical switch. The proposed reconfigurable antenna in the state of ON switchhas resonant frequencies of 2.45 GHz and 5.4 GHz covering the band of 1.8-2.7 GHz (Wi-Fi) and 5.26-5.99 GHz (WLAN) respectively. The same antenna during OFF state of switch operates only at 3 GHz covering the band of 2.49-3.84 GHz. The proposed multiband reconfigurable antenna is designed and fabricated on an FR-4 substrate having relative permittivity of 4.4, loss tangent of 0.02 and thickness of 1.6 mm. The antenna is fabricated and tested in the laboratory to validate the simulated results. A good agreement between the simulated and measured results is obtained in term of radiation pattern and return loss. The performance of the reconfigurable antenna under both states of switch is examined on the basis of the antenna parameters such as return loss, radiation pattern and gain.
2. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A reconfigurable dual frequency slot loaded microstrip antenna controlled by pin diodes," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 44, 374-376, 2005.
3. Huff, G. H., F. S. Zhang, and J. T. Bernhard, "A novel radiation pattern and frequency reconfigurable single turn square spiral microstrip antenna," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 13, 57-59, 1998.
4. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A reconfigurable patch antenna using switchable slots for circular polarization diversity," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 12, 96-98, 2002.
5. Kolsrud, A. T., M. Y. Li, and K. Chang, "Dual-frequency electronically tunable CPW-fed CPS dipole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 34, 609-611, 1998.
6. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact electronically reconfigurable dual frequency microstrip antenna for L-band applications," International Journal on Wireless and Optical Communications, Vol. 2, No. 2, 181-187, 2004.
7. Li, H., J. Xiong, Y. Yu, and S. He, "A simple compact reconfigurable slot antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3725-3728, Nov. 2010.
8. Hamid, M. R., P. Gardner, P. S. Hall, and F. Ghanem, "Reconfigurable vivaldi antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 4, 785-787, Apr. 2010.
9. Perruisseau-Carrier, J., P. Pardo-Carrera, and P. Miskovsky, "Modeling, design and characterization of a very wideband slot antenna with reconfigurable band rejection," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2218-2226, Jul. 2010.
10. Duncombe, J. U., "Infrared navigation — Part I: An assessment of feasibility (Periodical style)," IEEE Trans. Electron Devices, Vol. ED-11, 34-39, Jan. 1959.
11. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, 2nd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.