In this letter, a compact second-order mixed coupling bandpass filter (BPF) with one controllable transmission zero (TZ) near the passband edge is presented using multilayer substrate integrated waveguide (SIW). Two arranged circular SIW resonators can be vertically coupled via the circular apertures etched on the middle metal layer while preserving a compact physical size compared with the conventional horizontally coupled filter made of the single layer. The mixed electric and magnetic coupling can be introduced by two etched circular apertures. And one controllable TZ can be created in the lower stopband for the magnetic-dominant or in the upper stopband for the electric-dominant. To demonstrate the proposed design method, a multilayer SIW BPF for WLAN application has been designed and fabricated, and the measured results show good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Deslandes, D. and K.Wu, "Single-substrate integration techniques for planar circuits and waveguide filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 593-596, 2003.
3. Li, R.-Q., X.-H. Tang, and F. Xiao, "Design of substrate integrated waveguide transversal filter with high selectivity," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 6, 328-330, 2010.
4. Chen, X.-P., K. Wu, and D. Drolet, "Substrate integrated waveguide flter with improved stopband performance for satellite ground terminal," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 3, 674-683, 2009.
5. Shen, W., L.-S. Wu, X.-W. Sun, W.-Y. Yin, and J.-F. Mao, "Novel Substrate Integrated Waveguide Filters with Mixed Cross Coupling (MCC)," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 11, 701-703, 2009.
6. Gong, K., W. Hong, Y. Zhang, P. Chen, and C.-J. You, "Substrate integrated waveguide quasi-elliptic filters with controllable electric and magnetic mixed coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 60, No. 10, 3071-3078, 2012.
7. Wang, D.-S., K.-S. Chin, W.-Q. Che, Y.-F. W, and C.-C. Chang, "Compact 60 GHz low-temperature cofired ceramic filter with quasi-elliptic bandpass response," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 10, No. 6, 664-669, 2016.
8. Chen, J. X., W. Hong, X. P. Chen, P. P. Yan, Q.-H. Lai, and K. Wu, "An LTCC X-band receiver front-end using embedded multilayer substrate integrated waveguide filter," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 285-287, 2008.
9. Wei, Q.-F., Z.-F. Li, L. Li, W.-J. Zhang, and J.-F. Mao, "Three-pole crosscoupled substrate-integrated waveguide bandpass filters based on PCB process and multilayer LTCC technology," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 71-73, 2009.
10. Xu, Z.-Q. and H. Xia, "Miniaturized multilayer dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with multiple transmission zeros," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 139, 627-642, 2013.
11. Xu, Z.-Q., P. Wang, J.-X. Liao, and Y. Shi, "Substrate integrated waveguide filter with mixed coupled modified trisections," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 7, 482-483, 2013.
12. Xu, Z.-Q., P.-Wang, K.-W. Qian, and Z. Tian, "Substrate integrated waveguide filter with embedded mixed source-load coupling," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, No. 23, 1464-1465, 2013.
13. Potelon, B., J.-F. Favennec, C. Quendo, E. Rius, C. Person, and J.-C. Bohorquez, "Design of a substrate integrated waveguide (SIW) filter using a novel topology of coupling," IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 9, 596-598, 2008.
14. Chu, Q.-X. and H. Wang, "A compact open-loop filter with mixed electric and magnetic coupling," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 56, No. 2, 431-4398, 2008.
15. Hong, J.-S. and M.-J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Micro-wave Applications, Wiley, New York, 2001.