In this paper, a novel monopole printed fork-shaped antenna for ultra-wideband (UWB) applications with triple band-notched characteristics is presented. The proposed antenna, with compact size of 42×24×1.6 mm3, yields an impedance bandwidth of 3.1-11 GHz for S11 < -10dB, except on the notched bands which are obtained by introducing three different types of slots. A U-shaped and two extended U-shaped defected ground structure (DGS) slots give respectively two notched bands， 3.3 to 3.7 GHz for WiMAX and 7.1 to 7.76 GHz for downlink X-band satellite communication systems. Therefore, a semi arc-shaped slot is etched on the radiating patch to notch the band from 5.15 to 5.825 GHz for WLAN applications. The proposed antenna is fabricated and measured.
2. Rostamzadeh, M., S. Mohamadi, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Square monopole antenna for UWB applications with novel rod-shaped parasitic structures and novel V-shaped slots in the ground plane," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 446-449, 2012.
3. Mishra, S. K., R. K. Gupta, A. Vaidya, and J. Mukherjee, "A compact dual-band fork-shaped monopole antenna for bluetooth and UWB applications," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 2011.
4. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "Novel planar UWB monopole antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 2009.
5. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultrawideband antenna with 3.5/5.5GHz dual band-notched characteristic," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2008.
6. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, May 2006.
7. Antonino-Daviu, E., M. Cabedo-Fabrs, M. Ferrando-Bataller, and V. M. R. Pearrocha, "Modal analysis and design of band-notched UWB planar monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 5, May 2010.
8. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, C. Yu, Y. Zhang, J. Y. Zhou, and J. X. Chen, "Development of ultrawideband antenna with multiple bandnotched characteristics using half mode substrate integrated waveguide cavity technology," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 9, 2894-2902, Sep. 2008.
9. Sarkar, D., K. V. Srivastava, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 2014.
10. Lin, C. C., P. Jin, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Single, dual and tri-bandnotched ultrawideband (UWB) antennas using capacitively loaded loop (CLL) resonators," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 1, 102-109, Jan. 2012.
11. Zaker, R., C. Ghobadi, and J. Nourinia, "Novel modified UWB planar monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 112-114, 2008.
12. Yang, Y., Y.-Z. Yin, Y.-Q. Wei, B.-W. Liu, and A.-F. Sun, "A circular wide-slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristics for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 23, 137-145, 2011.
13. Zhang, G.-M., J.-S. Hong, and B.-Z. Wang, "Two novel band-notched UWB slot antennas FED by microstrip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 78, 209-218, 2008.
14. Zhao, Y.-L., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, L. Zhang, Y. Song, and Z.-B. Wong, "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with band-notched characteristic," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, 2656-2658, 2008.
15. Elboushi, A., O. M. Ahmed, and A. R. Sebak, "Study of elliptical slot UWB antennas with a 5.0-6.0 GHz band-notch capability," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 16, 207-222, 2010.
16. Venkata, S. K., M. Rana, P. S. Bakariya, S. Dwari, and M. Sarkar, "Planar ultrawideband monopole antenna with tri-notch band characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 46, 163-170, 2014.
17. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
18. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
19. Tang, M. C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D.Wang, J. Guan, B.Wang, and G. D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, 2011.
20. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Design of a dual band-notch UWB slot antenna by means of simple parasitic slits," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1412-1415, 2013.
21. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, "Ultra-wideband planar antenna with notched bands at 3.5/5.5 GHz," ACES Journal, Vol. 31, No. 4, Apr. 2016.
22. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Dual band-notch UWB antenna with single tri-arm resonator," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 2014.