A compact stacked Yagi antenna is proposed with bandwidth enhancement in this paper. To reduce the size of the antenna and simultaneously improve the front-to-back ratio (FTBR), a reflector, modified with six slots, two λ0/4 meanderline-shaped slots and four straight short slots, is employed. Furthermore, a ladder-like director is designed to overcome the mismatch loss caused by the diminution of the height between the reflector and driven dipole. As shown in both simulation and measurement, the proposed compact Yagi antenna can achieve a compact size of 0.55λ0×0.55λ0×0.08λ0, |S11| ≤ -10 dB bandwidth of 17.2% and an FTBR of 22dB at 2.2GHz. The acceptable results make the proposed Yagi antenna a good candidate for applications where compact size and wide bandwidth are needed.
2. Chen, Z. N., Y. Juan, X. M. Qing, and W. Q. Che, "Enhanced radiation from a horizontal dipole closely placed above a PEC ground plane using a parasitic strip," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4868-4871, Nov. 2016.
3. Piersanti, S., F. D. Paulis, A. Orlandi, S. Connor, B. Archambeault, P. Dixon, M. A Khorrami, and J. L. Drewniak, "Electric dipole equations in very-near-field conditions for electromagnetic shielding assessment --- Part II: wave impedance, reflection, and transmission," IEEE Trans. Electromagn. Compat., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1203-1209, Aug. 2017.
4. Yuan, B. and X. Wang, "Multi-objective optimization of double-folded Yagi antenna using genetic algorithms," Proc. Computational Intelligence and Software Engineering Conf., Dec. 2010.
5. Liu, H., Y. Liu, and S. X. Gong, "A novel dual-polarized slot Yagi-Uda array antenna with high gain and low profile," Proc. International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition, May 2016.
6. Wang, Q. Q., Z. P. Qian, W. Q. Cao, Y. S. Zhang, and K. Li, "60 GHz stacked Yagi magneto-electric dipole antenna with wideband and high gain properties," Proc. Communication Problem-Solving Conf., 454-457, Oct. 2015.
7. McMichael, I. T., A. I. Zaghloul, and M. S. Mirotznik, "A method for determining optimal EBG reflection phase for low profile dipole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 2411-2417, May 2013.
8. Best, S. R. and D. L. Hanna, "Design of a broadband dipole in close proximity to an EBG ground plane," IEEE Antennas Propag. Mag., Vol. 50, No. 6, 52-64, Dec. 2008.
9. Huang, Y., A. De, Y. Zhang, T. K. Sarkar, and J. Carlo, "Enhancement of radiation along the ground plane from a horizontal dipole located close to it," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 294-297, 2008.
10. Lim, W. G., H. S. Jang, and J. W. Yu, "New method for back lobe suppression of microstrip patch antenna for GPS," Proc. 40th Eur. Microw. Conf., 679-682, Sep. 2010.
11. Tang, M. Ch. and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Efficient, high directivity, large front-to-back-ratio, electrically small, near-field-resonant-parasitic antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 1, 16-28, 2008.
12. Lu, L., K. X. Ma, F. Y. Meng, and K. S. Yeo, "Design of a 60-GHz Quasi-Yagi antenna with novel ladder-like directors for gain and bandwidth enhancements," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 15, 682-685, 2016.