This paper presents a novel miniaturized dual-band fractal antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications. The miniaturization of the proposed antenna is achieved by inserting, in the center ground of the antenna, square slots to excite two resonant modes simultaneously, leading to dual-band operation. The novelty of the proposed antenna is miniaturized size and ability to support multiband operations, which can be integrated in many electronic applications and wireless communication. This antenna has a compact size of only 25×25 mm2 and fed by a 50 Ω-microstrip feed line. To validate the design approach, an experimental prototype is fabricated and measured. The simulation and measurement results show that the antenna provides dual-band operation at 2.4 and 3.75 GHz with omnidirectional radiation pattern.
2. Chen, S.-W., D.-Y. Wang, and W.-H. Tu, "Dual-band/Tri-band/Broadband CPW-fed stepped-impedance slot dipole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 1, 485-490, Jan. 2014.
3. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, Mar. 2015.
4. Liang, Z., Y. Li, and Y. Long, "Multiband monopole mobile phone antenna with circular polarization for GNSS application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 4, 1910-1917, Apr. 2014.
5. Mehdipour, A., T. A. Denidni, and A.-R. Sebak, "Multi-band miniaturized antenna loaded by ZOR and CSRR metamaterial structures with monopolar radiation pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 555-562, Feb. 2014.
6. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Bujalance, A. Andujar, and C. Puente, "Analysis of a multiband monopole handset antenna combined with a slotted-ground plane," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 51, No. 1, 173-180, Jan. 2013.
7. Picher, C., J. Anguera, A. Cabedo, C. Puente, and S. Kahng, "Multiband handset antenna using slots on the ground plane: Considerations to facilitate the integration of the feeding transmiss line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 7, 95-109, 2009.
8. Kumar, S. and D. Kumar Vishwakarma, "Miniaturized curved slotted patch antennaover a fractalized EBG ground plane," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 3, 599-605, Apr. 2017.
9. Zhang, H.-Y., F.-S. Zhang, C. Wang, and T. Li, "Dual-band omnidirectional circularly polarized patch antenna with etched slots and shorting vias," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 73, 167-176, 2017.
10. Zaid, J., M. L. Abdelghani, and T. A. Denidni, "CPW-fed multiband semifractal antenna for RFID reader applications," Microwave and Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 1852-1853, 2015.
11. Rao, N., A. Malik, R. Kumar, S. Goel, and V. D. Kumar, "Novel star-shaped fractal antenna for multiband applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 2, 419-425, 2017.
12. Jalil, M. E. B., M. K. Abd Rahim, N. A. Samsuri, N. A. Murad, H. A. Majid, K. Kamardin, and M. Azfar Abdullah, "Fractal koch multiband textile antenna performance with bending, wet conditions and on the human body," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 140, 633-652, 2013.
13. Huang, C.-Y. and E.-Z. Yu, "A slot-monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 500-502, 2011.
14. Sedghi, M. S., M. Naser-Moghadasi, and F. B. Zarrabi, "A dual band fractal slot antenna loaded with Jerusalem crosses for wireless and WiMAX communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 61, 19-24, 2016.