This paper presents design and analysis of six different configurations of Coplanar Waveguide Band Reject Filters (CPW-BRF) using Rectangular Dumbbell Electromagnetic Band Gap (RDEBG) cell structures. The performance in terms of rejection bandwidth, attenuation, cutoff characteristics of the proposed design are found superior to the earlier reported CPW-BRF. Using cascading of six RDEBG cells, rejection bandwidth has been improved up to 2.8 GHz with attenuation of -38.8 dB and filter selectivity of 26.9 dB/GHz. In addition, the radiation losses have also been analyzed by extracting equivalent R, L and C values from electromagnetic (EM) simulation results. Fabricated CPW-BRF using four RDEBG cells has been analyzed. For the fabricated CPW-BRF simulated and measured results are found in good agreement.
2. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 4th Ed., John Wiley & Sons, New Delhi, 2012.
3. Yablonovitch, E., "Inhibited spontaneous emission in solid-state physics and electronics," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 58, No. 20, 2059-2062, May 1987.
4. John, S., "Strong localization of photons in certain disordered dielectric superlattices," Physical Review Letters, Vol. 58, No. 23, 2486-2489, June 1987.
5. Ahn, D., J. S. Park, C. S. Kim, J. Kim, Y. Qian, and T. Itoh, "A design of the low-pass filter using the novel microstrip defected ground structure," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 86-93, Jan. 2001.
6. Killamsetty, V. K. and B. Mukherjee, "Compact wideband bandpass filter for TETRA band applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 27, No. 7, 630-632, Jul. 2017.
7. Kumar, A. and A. K. Verma, "Extraction of T and PI circuit models of microstrip line with defected ground structure," International Conference on. Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP), IEEE, 2011.
8. Dalili Oskouei, H., K. Forooraghi, and M. Hakkak, "Guided andleaky wave charactristics of periodic defectde ground structures," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 15-27, 2007.
9. Martine, F., F. Falcone, J. Bonache, T. Lopetegi, M. A. G. Laso, and M. Sorolla, "Dual electromagnetic band-gap cpw structures for filter applications," IEEE Microwave Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 13, 393-395, Sep. 2003.
10. Zoul, Y., X. Hu, S. He, and Z. Lin, "Compact coplanar waveguide lowpass filter using a novel electromagnetic bandgap structure," Proceedings of 7th International Symposium on Antennas Propagation & EM Theory, 1-4, 2006.
11. Yun, T. Y. and K. Chang, "Uniplanar one-dimensional photonic bandgap structures and resonators," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 49, 549-55, Mar. 2001.
12. Lim, J.-S., C.-S. Kim, Y.-T. Lee, D. Ahn, and S. Nam, "A spiral-shaped defected ground structure for coplanar waveguide," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 12, No. 9, 330-332, Sep. 2002.
13. Lin, S.-Y., W.-Z. Tian, S.-Q. Zheng, and X.-W. Sun, "A semicircle DGS with high Q factor for microstrip line and low-pass filter," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, 1197-1199, 2006.
14. Kim, H.-M. and B. Lee, "Bandgap and slow/fast-wave characteristics of defected ground structures including left-handed features," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Tech., Vol. 54, No. 7, 3113-3120, Jul. 2014.
15. Zeland Software Inc., IE3D Version 12, .
16. Smierzchalski, M., P. Kurgan, and M. Kitlinski, "Improved selectivity compact band-stop filter with gosper fractal-shaped defected ground structures," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 227-229, Jan. 2010.
17. Karmakar, N. C., "Improved performance of photonic band-gap microstrip structure with the use of Chebyshev distributions," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 33, No. 1, Apr. 1-5, 2002.