Comb generator has been an indispensable tool in the electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) testing field. It is used for calibration and self checking of the test systems. This paper presents a rarely explored yet promising radiated comb generator that makes use of a single-ended PECL D Flip-Flop as the pulse forming component. Measurements show that the generated pulses typically possess fall time and rise time of 330 ps and 410 ps, respectively. Its frequency accuracy is offset by +24 ppm, which is common for crystal oscillators. When being connected to a monopole rod antenna, the comb generator is able to generate radiated emissions that have smooth envelope profile up to 1000 MHz frequency range.
2. Andrews, J. R., "Picosecond pulse generation techniques and pulser capabilities,", 2008.
3. Miao, M. and C. Nguyen, "A uniplanar picosecond impulse generator based on MESFET and SRD," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 39, 470-472, Dec. 2003.
4. Zhou, J., X. Yang, Q. Lu, and F. Liu, "A novel low-ringing monocycle picosecond pulse generator based on step recovery diode," PLOS ONE, Vol. 10, e0136287, Aug. 2015.
5. Maxwell, E., T. Weller, and E. Odu, "Design and analysis of a multiport circuit for shaping sub-nanosecond pulses," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 56, 2764-2770, Dec. 2008.
6. Ribeiro, D., P. M. Cruz, and N. B. C. Carvalho, "Evaluation of comb generator performance for nonlinear measurements on mixed-domain instrumentation," URSI Seminar of the Portuguese Committee, Vol. 1, 1-4, Nov. 2012.
7. Dau-Chyrh, C., L. Chih-Hung, and Y. Tsung-Yuan, "Novel design of site source for radiation and conduction emission test," PIERS Proceedings, 1033-1035, Taipei, Mar. 25-28, 2013.
8. Montrose, M. I. and IEEE Electromagnetic Compatibility Society, "EMC and the printed circuit board: design, theory, and layout made simple,", 1999.
9. Ungvichian, V. and R. Aina, "A study of inexpensive stable conducted/radiated emission sources suitable for the EMC directives," 2006 International RF and Microwave Conference, 296-300, IEEE, Sep. 2006.
10. Martin, L., "A simple low-cost comb generator frequency calibrator,", 78-82, 1988.
11. ON-Semiconductor, "MC10EP31, MC100EP31 --- 3.3V/5V ECL D flip-flop with set and reset,", 2008.
12. Agilent, "Infiniium DSO80000B series oscilloscopes and infiniimax series probes 2 GHz to 13 GHz real-time oscilloscope 80000B Series,", 12, 2007.