A miniaturized monopole-like slot antenna with improved un-roundness of H-plane radiation patterns at higher frequency response for ultra-wideband application is presented and discussed. With the monopole-like slot antenna structure, wide working band (3.21-16.3 GHz) is obtained within a limited physical size (21×21.5×1.6 mm3). By modifying the structure of the proposed antenna, such as etching a quarter of a circular slot at the corner of the ground plane and a trapezoidal slot in the radiating patch, the un-roundness of H-plane radiation patterns is reduced by 5 dB in high-frequency band. Measured results show that it has a bandwidth from 3.2 GHz to 17.52 GHz, which are in good agreement with simulations.
2. Lin, C., "Compact bow-tie quasi-self-complementary antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 987-989, 2012.
3. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultra wideband applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1670-1675, 2006.
4. Barbarino, S. and F. Consoli, "UWB circular slot antenna provided with an inverted-L notch filter for the 5GHz WLAN band," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 104, No. 4, 1-3, 2010.
5. Shrivastava, M. K., A. K. Gautam, and B. K. Kanaujia, "An M-shaped monopole-like slot UWB antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 1, 127-131, 2014.
6. Zhao, D. S., C. X. Yang, M. Zhu, and Z. X. Chen, "Design of WLAN/LTE/UWB antenna with improved pattern uniformity using ground-cooperative radiating structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 271-276, 2016.
7. Qing, X. and Z. N. Chen, "Compact coplanar waveguide-fed ultra-wideband monopole-like slot antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 5, 889-898, 2009.
8. Gautam, A. K., S. Yadav, and B. K. Kanaujia, "A CPW-fed compact UWB microstrip antenna," IEEE Antennas & Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, No. 12, 151-154, 2013.
9. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, and H. B. Zhu, "Experimental investigation on novel tapered microstrip slot antenna for ultra-wideband applications," IET Microwaves Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 1, No. 2, 480-487, 2007.
10. Jeevani, J. M., W. Jayasinghe, and D. N. Uduwawala, "A novel multiband miniature planar inverted F antenna design for bluetooth and WLAN applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, Article ID 970152, 6 pages, 2015.
11. Lamsalli, M., A. El Hamichi, M. Boussouis, N. Amar Touhami, and T. Elhamadi, "Genetic algorithm optimization for microstrip patch antenna miniaturization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 60, 113-120, 2016.
12. Jayasinghe, J. W. and D. N. Uduwawala, "A novel miniature multi-frequency broadband patch antenna for WLAN applications," 2013 IEEE 8th IEEE International Conference on Industrial and Information Systems, No. 2013, 361-363, Sri Lanka, Dec. 2013.
13. Meng, F. and S. Sharma, "A single feed dual-band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) miniaturized patch antenna for wireless local area network (WLAN) communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 18, 2390-2402, 2016.
14. Tanweer, A., C. Rajashekhar, and A. Biradar, "Miniaturized volkswagen logo UWB antenna with slotted ground structure and metamaterial for GPS, WiMAX and WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 72, 29-41, 2017.
15. Liu, H., B. Lu, and L. Li, "Novel miniaturized octaband antenna for LTE smart handset applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2015, Article ID 861016, 8 pages, 2015.